Contact Name: Matthew Martin
Contact Email: M.Martin@wpdparks.org
Contact Phone: (708) 987-0008
Closing Date: October 16, 2017
Salary: Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and will be negotiated with the Board of Commissioners.
Executive Director - Westchester Park District
The Board of Commissioners of the Westchester Park District invites applications for the position of Executive Director. The Board is interested in selecting an Executive Director to fill this position and begin employment at the District tentatively by December 1, 2017. The Westchester Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
September 16, 2017 – Posted.
October 16, 2017 – Deadline for Applications to be received.
December 1, 2017 – Tentative date of appointment.
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience. Salary and benefits will be negotiated with the Board of Commissioners.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS / CHARACTERISTICS:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation Administration, Public Administration / Public Policy, or other related field preferred. Certification as a Park and Recreation Professional (CPRC) preferred.
• Strong personnel management skills, including the ability to assign personnel and delegate responsibilities with assurance and accountability.
• 5-7 years of administrative experience in the park and recreation field preferred, 7-10 years working in a park district capacity preferred.
• Active community leadership with the knowledge of the importance of community involvement with volunteerism and in the collaborative processes for park planning.
• Maintain and improve community services with a high level of customer satisfaction.
• Knowledgeable about trends and issues in the park and recreation field, including personnel management, creative financing, marketing and public relations.
• A professional understanding of the community’s diverse culture.
• Must be able to lead the organization through a transformation while maintaining a passion for results with the ability to think and act strategically and stimulate others to do the same.
• Demonstrated success in administration and budget management. Must have experience in the creation of a sound fiscal program including: capital projects, budgeting, forecasting, development of projects through the referendum process and other alternative funding sources such as foundations/federal/state grants and enterprise operations.
• Ability to understand the concept of shared leadership and in allowing participation by others to share in the leadership of the organization.
• Excellent oral, written communication and effective interpersonal skills. Must possess compassion and the ability to communicate effectively with all types of individuals.
• Proven track record of developing strong intergovernmental relationships and cooperative efforts.
• Comprehensive short-range and long-range planning skills. Ability to assess community needs, research trends and innovative concepts as they apply to the improvement of the agency’s operations.
• An in-depth understanding of the Board/Director relationship and the ability to cultivate a positive working relationship with all commissioners.
All applications or inquiries should be referred to: Board of Commissioners – Westchester Park District 10201 Bond Street Westchester, IL 60154
By Email: Screening.firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: (708) 987-0008
Applications should be sealed and marked Personal-Confidential. All applicant packets must be received by the end of business on October 16, 2017 and must contain the information below in order to meet Board consideration. Process will include interview of selected candidates by the Westchester Board of Park Commissioners. All documents, other than education credentials, must have a left margin of 1.5 inches. Each numbered item below needs to be on a separate page. Please do not bind or staple.
Typed responses to the following management questions. Please limit your response to one page for each question:
A. Describe your management style.
B. State and Discuss your philosophy on Parks and Recreation.
C. What issues do you consider to be critically important to the park and recreation field today?
D. If given the opportunity, how will you attempt to resolve these issues in question C.?
E. If you were chosen for the position, what steps would you take as the district’s new leader in your first 120 days?
Salary history for the past 5 years.
Complete set of up-to-date credentials which include legal proof verifying educational degrees. Transcript or copy of diploma is acceptable.
Written permission to contact past employers and written permission to have a criminal background check.