NATURE OF WORK: Under the direction of the Recreation Manager and/or his/her designee, this position is responsible for overseeing the Robert Crown Center figure skating programs, which includes programming, planning, implementation, and evaluation. The position is also responsible for supervising employees, contracted vendors and volunteers within the skating program.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Specific assignment will include some or all of the following)
• Oversees and manages all phases of a figure skating program including, but not limited to, learn to skate classes for beginners through advanced, ice dancing, group instruction, private instruction, compulsory figures, freestyle skating, competitive skating, athletic condition and training, ballet, choreography and music selection.
• Coordinates and develops the Figure Skating Program by scheduling ice, programming of lessons, and creating lesson plans for instructors. Compiles attendance sheets, compiles rosters, and assigns coaches to each class level.
• Manages the ice shows, competitions and special events including scheduling dates, contacting and scheduling judges, ordering costumes and preparing rosters.
• Ensures programs and services are well organized, meet their objective and are safe for all participants.
• Coordinates the use of the center in coordination of maximum programs and revenues.
• Assures that safety standards and precautions are followed in recreation and facility management activities.
• Distributes private lessons requests and makes recommendations to the Recreation Manager in the development and management of professional coaches’ contracts.
• Manages volunteers for the Figure Skating Program.
• Conducts regular surveys from participants in programs collecting data on marketing segments, users and trends for figure skating.
• Tracks and records pertinent statistical information and completing quarterly reports for the Figure Skating Program.
• Coordinates all communication in the Learn to Skate Program.
• Answers questions from 311, customer phone calls, emails, questions, comments, and concerns.
• Works with City’s Citizen Engagement Division on social media announcements, marketing brochures, flyers and promotions for figure skating programs. • Assists the Recreation Manager and Program Coordinators with developing, executing, implementing, and adhering to annual budget, strategic and operational plan for the department/center. • Implements innovative and creative philosophies of figure skating programming. • Works to develop collaborative partnerships with organizations in the public, non-profit and private sector. • Collaborates with Robert Crown Center staff in development and continued improvements and modifications of all program offerings at the center. • Trains, supervises and evaluates employees and volunteer staff in the figure skating program, including assigning specific tasks and works hours accordingly.
• Enforces rules pertaining to the overall health and safety of the participants, including upholding a high level of professionalism and Professional Skating Instructor (PSI) code of ethics. • Assists with the updating of manual for the Figure Skating Program including policies, procedures and safety guidelines. • Reports any unsafe conditions to the Recreation Manager or to city’s 311. • Attends trainings and conferences to enhance personal development and gain more knowledge. • Attends department and other meetings as required. • Organizes and implements one-on-ones, small group meetings and presentations designed to enhance communication. • Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
• Must possess a Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or higher in Sports Management, Recreation, Business Management or substantially similar area from an accredited college or university and must possess three (3) or more years of work experience with skating programs.
• Must possess one (1) or more years of work experience in a supervisory capacity.
• Must possess a valid driver license and a safe driving record.
• Must possess current First Aid/CPR certifications.
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
• Experience with recreation software (RecTrac) is preferred. • Ability to deal positively and effectively with the general public and other staff and individual agencies or persons. • Ability to work a flexible schedule when needed, including evenings, weekends, and holidays. • Ability to meet deadlines and to multi-task effectively. • Strong customer service skills and teamwork orientation. • Considerable knowledge of and ability to use Internet search engines, word processing software, email, and Windows operating systems. • Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions provided in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations. • Ability to prepare work assignments, research issues summaries, letters and memorandum and reports using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, dictation and style. • Ability to give verbal direction to subordinates, communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
PUBLIC CONTACT: The Recreation Program Coordinator has regular contact with the public, other departmental employees and supervisors.
To apply for this position, please apply online at www.cityofevanston.org on or before the 1/23/2018 closing date.
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at 847-448-8204 (voice) or 847-448-8052 (TTY).