JOB SUMMARY Responsible for the development, management, and promotion of the District’s aquatics programs, classes, and special events at the Pavilion Aquatics Center and Rainbow Falls Waterpark. Responsible for party hosts and building attendants at Rainbow Falls Community Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Directly supervise all swim lesson instructors, swim lesson coordinators, aqua wellness instructors, aqua camp directors, aqua camp instructors, and swim team coaches in the following processes: hiring, firing, training, assigning, supervising, and evaluating.
• Directly supervise party hosts at RBF and PAC in the following processes: hiring, firing, training, supervising and evaluating.
• Directly supervise building attendants at Rainbow Falls Community Center in the following processes: hiring, firing, training, supervising and evaluating.
• Assist the Aquatics Manager in the following processes: recruiting, hiring, firing, training, assigning, supervising, and evaluating all aquatic staff.
• Responsible for the development of the aquatics program budget and will assist with other aquatics departmental budgets, risk management procedures, and operational procedures for all aquatic facilities.
• Assist in mentoring aquatics staff including pool managers, lifeguards, cashiers, swim lesson instructors, swim lesson coordinators, aqua wellness instructors, and the swim team head coach.
• Oversee an effective staff work schedule for seasonal and year-round aqua wellness instructors, swim lesson coordinator, and swim coaches at all aquatic facilities.
• Train and certify seasonal and year-round swim lesson instructors per current certification standards.
• Responsible for creating, planning, implementing, supervising, and evaluating all instructional and recreational aquatics programs at the District’s aquatics facilities within the District’s goals and objectives.
• Prepare payroll for all aquatic staff, including time adjustments.
• Manage pools during lap swim, open swim, swim team, and special events when scheduling conflicts arise or as deemed necessary by the Aquatics Manager.
• Assist Aquatics Manager in preparing and editing seasonal brochures and District website for the aquatics department. • Supervise the aqua wellness program including creating new programs, scheduling classes, maintaining supplies, and continue education through certifications. • Manage the District’s swim team program including: coaching staff, registration, scheduling of swim meets, training schedules, attending monthly coaches meetings and maintaining ISI accounts. • Work with the marketing department to ensure communication of facility information and promotion of events. • Create promotional materials for aquatic programs and facilities. • Assist Aquatics Manager in the implementation and enforcement of employee policies and procedures. • Develop detailed reports and analysis and make recommendations for continuous improvements. • Assist the Aquatics Manager with training and certifying seasonal and year-round lifeguards. • Assist with community wide special events not specifically related to aquatics programming area. • Performs the job safely and in compliance with district policies, procedures, work and safety rules. • Be familiar with the safe operation of any equipment necessary in accomplishing required tasks.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS • Familiar with current water safety program (i.e., Ellis / Red Cross / StarGuard). • Assist in direct operational responsibilities, as needed. • Prepare and submit reports, as needed. • Lead and participate in organizational work teams.
• Must work closely with co-workers.
• Must work under supervision and direction of the Aquatics Manager.
• Responsible for the safety of the general public in the pool and on the pool deck including the ability to make decisions to assure safety in and around the aquatic facilities.
• Able to work under stressful situations when First Aid or CPR is required, including the ability to respond quickly and accurately to any and all emergencies.. • Works in a wide range of weather conditions which can include cold, rain, and extreme heat. • Must be able to give instructions to pool managers, lifeguards, cashiers, and pool attendants. • Must be safety conscientious and use good judgment at all times. • Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONSIDERATIONS
Sitting – frequently Walking – frequently Strength – 1- 50lbs. Climbing – occasionally Balancing – occasionally Stooping – occasionally Kneeling – occasionally Crouching – occasionally Crawling – occasionally Reaching – frequently Handling – frequently Feeling – occasionally
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS • Strong written and verbal communication skills. • Knowledge of aquatic operations. • Fairness in dealing with people. • Ability to demonstrate effective decision making and problem solving skills. • Skilled in working with computers and database programs. • Organizational ability. • Ability to supervise, organize, and create aquatic programs. • Good knowledge of pertinent safety precautions. • Ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships with other employees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE • Minimum Bachelor’s degree in the area of recreation or facility management or related field or equivalent combination of school and work experience. • Starfish Swimming Instructor Trainer Certification or ability to obtain certification within first 6 months. • Ellis & Associates International Lifeguard Instructor Certification or ability to obtain certification within first 6 months. • Valid Illinois Driver’s License.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website at www.elkgroveparks.org