Position Title: Assistant Director of Recreation
Reporting Authority: Director of Recreation & Marketing
Classification: Exempt – Non-Union
Annual Salary: $50,000 - $60,000
Under general direction from the Director of Recreation & Marketing, the Assistant Director of Recreation plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the recreation activities of the Park District’s 4 Golf Courses, 2 Ice Rinks, 3 Aquatic Centers, Velasco Tennis Center, Athletic programming, Special Event and Rental Centers, Early Childhood Education Centers, the Henson Robinson Zoo, Washington Park Botanical Garden, Thomas Rees Memorial Carillon, Special Recreation, Senior populations, Campgrounds, playgrounds, parks, nature preserves and others as assigned. This position will assist the Director of Recreation and Marketing to directly supervise 12 exempt positions and indirectly supervise 28 additional full-time employees and more than 75 part-time and/or seasonal employees.
The Assistant Director of Recreation may be assigned responsibility for directing the activities of one or more areas within the recreation department in addition to being assigned various activities and projects in assisting the Director of Recreation & Marketing in carrying out the Department’s mission. This position exercises discretion in applying general goals and policy statements and resolves organizational and service delivery problems; organizes and directs the work of subordinate staff; assumes significant responsibility for a variety of personnel activities in such areas as selection, training, and disciplinary action; and exercises direct supervision over assigned clerical, technical, professional and supervisory personnel. Scope of assigned area will depend on departmental structure and is at the discretion of the Director of Recreation & Marketing. Position shall report directly to Director of Recreation & Marketing and be housed in the Administrative Office.
- Provides leadership to all full time and part time employees in the Recreation Department.
- Serves as Acting Director of Recreation in the Director of Recreation & Marketing’s absence.
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Recreation and Marketing to ensure operational excellence in all facilities.
- Assists Director of Recreation and Marketing in the management of the Recreation Department.
- Manages departmental programs, services, events, program costs, new program development, and personnel as assigned by the Director of Recreation & Marketing.
- System Administrator for new Vermont Systems RecTrac & WebTrac for -
Recreation Software program development and ongoing implementation.
- Responsible for keeping up to date records on all District programs offered, fee structures, participation rates, and evaluations.
- Evaluates and monitors staff work load, and administrative and support systems. Directs, oversees, and participates in the development of the work plan for assigned areas, assigns work activities, projects and programs; monitors work flow and efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedure; reviews and evaluates work products.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and presents recommendations to the Director of Recreation & Marketing; manages the implementation of operational -
improvements and monitors the effects of the changes.
- Administers Department goals, objectives, policies and procedures, and recommends changes.
- Lead staff in the creation and development of program goals and objectives with District’s strategic and master plans;
- Conducts a variety of organization studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommends modifications to recreation facilities, programs, events and activities as appropriate.
- Attends meetings of the Park Board of Trustees as assigned; attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in recreation programs.
- Responsible for development of scholarship program for District residents to increase opportunities for disenfranchised families of the community
- Responsible for oversight of all permits, rentals, and related special events our Parks that include picnic rentals, permits for special events, concession agreements and related activities.
- Responsible for annual Concession Agreements throughout the parks and facilities.
- Provides advice and counsel to the Director of Recreation & Marketing; prepares and presents staff reports and other communications on Department activities and plans.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides and coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Develop customer service guidelines for department and provide training for all staff.
- Maintains the absolute confidentiality of all records and information.
- Manages, directs, and organizes life enrichment activities including various sports, social events, hobbies, educational, and other recreational activities for all ages.
- Prepares budget for assigned areas, assists in budget implementation; participates in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Participates in recommending the appointment of personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline procedures; recommends employee termination.
- Plans and develops recreational programs and/or approves activities, plans and procedures prepared by recreation staff and assures adherence of safety requirements; outlines work to be done and have recreation areas and facilities ready for use in carrying out the recreation program as planned.
- Seeks alternative means of supporting and financing department programs; writes grants, solicit funds, and volunteer staffing from large service groups, community organizations, and individuals.
- Organizes, layout, and publicize Department programs by using flyers, the seasonal brochures, news releases, etc; prepares correspondence and communications pertaining to recreation and preparation of the recreation publicity designed to interest the public.
- Follows all Department policies and procedures and insure program policy guidelines are maintained.
- Prepares reports on activities, programs, fee schedules, and recommendations.
- Evaluates program proposals.
- Perform all other duties and projects as assigned by the Director of Recreation & Marketing.
- Foster relationships internally and externally to maintain or improve work environments.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in recreation or related field.
- Minimum five 5 years of experience in programming, , marketing, advertising, public relations, business management, facility management, hospitality industry or related field.
- Minimum three 3 years of experience supervising full time staff
- Evidence of leadership abilities.
- Preferred knowledge of RecTrac or other Recreation Software application.
- Skill in the use of customer service.
- Skill in the use of coordinating various programs and projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrate ability to evaluate and supervise other staff members.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, and special events as the schedule demands.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Physical capabilities – lifts 50 pounds, squat, bend and move as necessary for the job.
Must be able to perform basic mathematics.
Must have basic proficiency of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
Must possess valid Illinois Driver’s License.
Must successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
Must possess professional phone skills and work well with the public.
Must present a neat and professional appearance.
Responsible to follow policies and procedures outlined in Springfield Park District employee manual.
Must live in Sangamon County, in the State of Illinois or must be willing to move to Sangamon County in the State of Illinois within the first 6 months of acceptance of a position with the Springfield Park District.
The Springfield Park District is committed to the provisions of Equal Employment Opportunities and Affirmative Action to its applicants regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, age sex, marital or veterans’ status, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.