The Berwyn Park District Early Childhood program is the first exposure to park district programming and educational experiences for many families within the City of Berwyn. The positive focus and administration of the programming and classes focus on the concept of “learning through play”. The district takes great pride in the cooperative efforts with School District 100 and accolades from parents in relation to pre-kindergarten screening scores and educational knowledge of children completing the early childhood program as they enter District 100 Kindergarten. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is responsible for performing the essential functions as outlined in this analysis.
The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is an hourly full-time position. Nights, weekends and holidays are required with this position as scheduled. Proficiency in both English and Spanish is desirable.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Education or Early Childhood Education, or a bachelor’s degree in recreation management, and at least 5 years experience in a field related to education or recreation is required. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager should possess good supervisory, composition and oral communication skills, as well as possess competency in the use of computer systems as they pertain to the Early Childhood department.
The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be familiar with all licensing regulations as set by the Department of Children and Family Services, as these are our best practice guidelines. Must be familiar with children’s physical, emotional, and developmental patterns. Must be knowledgeable in the areas of curriculum planning, in-service staff training, program goal setting, and evaluating the progress of individual children. Must possess the ability to implement and operate a recreation program consistent with the needs of the residents of the District within the financial resources and physical plant available.
The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must pass a criminal background check, drug test, and physical exam, all of which are paid for by the Berwyn Park District, and also possess a valid Illinois class “D” driver’s license and maintain an adequate driving record.
The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is not required to reside in Berwyn. However, given the nature of the duties and responsibilities of this position, he/she is required to live within a 45 minute response time to Park District facilities (i.e. be able to be physically present at the facilities within 45 minutes of receiving a telephone call requesting or necessitating such presence) and he/she must be reasonably accessible in person or by phone or other electronic communications device at all times except during periods of excused absence.
Immediate Supervisor: The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation.
- Develop, coordinate, and administer early childhood age specific programs, day camps, and special events that create fun, excitement and enthusiasm to participating children, parents, and staff.
- Communicate the fun, excitement and enthusiasm created by the district via well-written marketing communications. These communications will be seasonal program guides, program sales, public relations, newsletters, and social media and marketing efforts utilized by the park district.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and events through budgets, demographics, and statistics. Develop new programs and expand or discontinue current programs based on participation and cost analysis.
- Actively recruit, train, supervise, and monitor the performance of teachers, volunteers, instructors, and part-time staff to work events and programs. Conduct staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Network with neighboring park districts, school districts, and other community organizations to provide outstanding programming.
- Maintain awareness of current trends in early childhood, recreational programming and other district areas and develop new programs based off of those trends and community needs.
- Recommend salary adjustments, hiring proposals, and promotional and purchase recommendations to the Superintendent of Recreation concerning department employees.
- Attend all required meetings, including with Superintendent of Recreation weekly to foster communication and receive assigned tasks.
- Inventory and order supplies and equipment for the early childhood division.
- Assist with holiday and seasonal programs, trips and other collaborative activities.
- Seek, interpret and implement input from the public, maintaining a close, positive relationship.
- Assist in the development of long range planning, goals, and program forecasts. Responsible for monthly board reports and budget analysis. Consistently review and monitor the budget and take appropriate action to ensure that variances stay within budget guidelines.
- The ability to type and familiarity with computers and email are essential. The Park District uses Microsoft Word for word processing, RecTrac for program registration. Knowledge and proficiency in use of database software, internet software, spreadsheet, and word processing software is required to perform job successfully.
- Maintain general knowledge and operation of park district recreation vehicles and recreation equipment as they pertain to department operations.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Supervisor must be in compliance with the loss prevention and safety policies of the Park District.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide appropriate information and production assistance for all programs to be advertised through the seasonal program guides.
- Assist with light maintenance of common areas including set up and take down of tables and chairs.
- Assist in maintaining safe programs and environments for patrons and staff.
- Supervise the early childhood payroll for administration.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to work alone or closely with others.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to work around general population/park patrons in public areas.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to supervise and direct others while under the direction of superiors.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to work under stressful situations and timetables, regarding budgeting, staff related matters, and project development and completion.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is exposed to chemicals and cleaning agents.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to lift and move 50 lb. with mechanical assistance.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to access all areas of park district lands and facilities during programming.
- Prolonged standing during busy months could affect some individual’s blood pressure.
- The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager may need to respond quickly and accurately.
- Responsible for the set up and take down of program areas.
1. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager is exposed to outside weather conditions up to 20% of the time, including extreme heat and cold, snow, rain, ice, day and night conditions, and high levels of pollen. He/she is exposed to varying levels of humidity, temperature, and light when working indoors.
1. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to give assignments to ensure safe follow through and completion.
2. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must use safety awareness and judgement.
3. The Early Childhood and Recreation Manager must be able to read, write, and prepare specifications and instructions.
Starting Salary Range:
$17.00 - $19.00 per hour plus benefits.
Mike Gianatasio, Superintendent of Recreation - firstname.lastname@example.org