For more information and/or to apply, please visit our website at www.elkgroveparks.org
JOB SUMMARY Under supervision of Grounds Maintenance Supervisor, responsible for the care and health of all plant material and planting beds including chemical spraying, irrigation, weed abatement, watering, mulching, plant installation and landscape maintenance for all parks and facilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Creates and ensures daily work schedule assigned runs smoothly and in an efficient manner.
• Responsible for maintenance of all landscaping beds at facilities and parks.
• Monitors condition of planting beds, ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, flowers and trees and reports the presence of plant diseases and pests.
• Assists Planner with coordination of their park and facility landscape planning plans.
• Designs, purchases and oversees the installation of all annual planting beds, shrub beds and perennials throughout the District.
• Regularly inspects landscape at parks and facilities using Inspection software to maintain District standards and report issues. • Responsible for removal, maintenance, planning, purchasing and planting of district trees; working with internal staff and/or contractors to complete necessary maintenance. • Oversees and maintains the District’s Tree Inventory. • Operates the daily usage and maintenance of the greenhouse. • Oversees the Pirates Cove pre-season opening schedule, and tasks related to landscape maintenance within the park during the season and post season. • Performs plant care work as a team member. • Assists in the training of Horticulture Laborers on safety rules and regulations, equipment operation, equipment maintenance and proper landscape procedures in accordance with District procedures. • Makes sure Horticulture Laborers are operating tools and equipment in safe manner using safety equipment at all times. • Acts as Snow & Ice Team Lead, as part of regular rotation. • Operates trucks and special equipment as required after receiving and passing district training on vehicles/equipment. • Performs the job safely and in compliance with district policies, procedures, work and safety rules. • Be familiar with the safe operation of any equipment necessary in accomplishing required tasks. • Conducts Horticulture Section midyear performance reviews, year-end performance reviews and planning reports for fulltime, seasonal and summer staff. • Attends monthly Parks & Planning Crew Leader meetings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS • Knowledge of plant material, plant installation and maintenance, turf maintenance and irrigation. • Knowledge of, but not limited to, the identification of native and non-native Midwest plant material such as trees shrubs, grasses and flowers. • Ability to work in a team-based environment. • Effective communication and interpersonal skills. • Work independently under minimal supervision. • Possess a valid State of Illinois Driver’s License. • Possess or able to obtain a valid Illinois Pesticide Operators License within six months of the date of hire. • Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and Windows software. • Perform other duties as assigned. • Good knowledge of pertinent safety precautions. • Ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships with other employees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE The above knowledge, skills and abilities may be demonstrated by education or formal training equivalent to a High School Degree plus, two years experience in related positions. Education or formal training beyond high school in plant care preferred. Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the above.