The Fox Valley Special Recreation Association (FVSRA) enriches the lives of people with special needs within the communities it serves. Formed in 1976, it is an extension of the Fox Valley, Geneva, St. Charles, Batavia, Sugar Grove, and Oswegoland Park Districts as well as the Village of South Elgin Parks and Recreation Department (“Member Agencies”). We provide a diverse range of year round recreational opportunities to enable residents with disabilities to experience active, healthy and playful lifestyles.
For more information about this vacancy please go to www.genevaparks.org/about/employment to view the Announcement of Vacancy for Executive Director Fox Valley Special Recreation Association.
Qualifications, Skills, & Personal Characteristics:
To effectively carry out the responsibilities of the Executive Director with the necessary authority as deemed by the Board of Directors. He/She shall be the administrative head of all the functions of the Association in regard to recreation programming, services, personnel management, facility development,fundraising efforts and business management. The Board of Directors is seeking to employ an Executive Director with the following qualifications:
• A person of great integrity, honesty, self-confidence and charisma with excellent time-management and priority setting skills.
• A minimum of five years previous administrative experience in the field of therapeutic recreation.
• Graduate from an accredited college or university with a degree in therapeutic recreation or related field. A master’s degree is preferred and CTRS certification required.
• Possess compassion and the ability to communicate effectively with all types of individuals.
• Must demonstrate thorough knowledge of the theory and philosophy of therapeutic recreation and community recreation.
• Ability to plan, develop and implement a diversified community recreation program for persons with disabilities.
• Ability to prepare and recommend short and long range planning and goals for the agency to meet community and staff needs.
• Ability to obtain outside sources of funding for recreation programs and services as well as obtain supplemental funding for the Association through revenue sharing, private donations, state and federal grants, etc.
• Ability to maintain continuing collaborative relationships with the various agencies within the Member Agency communities of the Association as well as those agencies that maintain the same or similar philosophies as the Association.
• Ability to maintain effective involvement with organizations and legislation which furthers the advancement of parks, recreation, leisure and serving individuals with disabilities.
• Ability to meet legal requirements in operations of the agency.
• Ability to effectively lead the risk management program of the agency to reduce liability.
• Ability to demonstrate success in administration, budget management and finance. Must have experience in the creation of a sound fiscal program including: capital projects, budgeting, forecasting, and other alternative funding sources; eg. Foundations/federal/state grants and operations.
• Responsible for the direct supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation, Business Manager, Human Resource Manager, Foundation Manager and Therapuetic Recreation interns.
• Ability to effectively lead personnel system to recruit, retain and improve performance of Agency staff.
• Ability to demonstrate a practical and effective problem solving process with the Board of Directors in deliberation and discussion of Board related matters.
• Ability to demonstrate knowledge and success in fundraising.
• Ability to oversee the operations of the Fox Valley Special Recreation Foundation (FVSRF) and provide assistance to the FVSRF Board Chairperson.
The Board of Directors of the Fox Valley Special Recreation Association invites applications for the position of Executive Director. The Board is interested in the selected Executive Director to begin employment at the Association tentatively by May 1, 2019. Fox Valley Special Recreation Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should be marked Personal and Confidential. All applicant packets must be received by March 1st, 2019 and must contain the information below in order to meet the Board consideration. Each numbered item below needs to be on a separate page. Please do not bind or staple.
Formal letter of application indicating reasons you desire to be a candidate.
Current resume needs to include, but not be limited to, employment history, duties, number of employees supervised and budget amount managed.
Complete list of accomplishments/completed projects.
Provide at least 3 CURRENT (DATED) letters of recommendation. These written references ideally should include a balance of former employers, employees, participants and Board Members.
You must also supply 3-6 PROFESSIONAL references with complete names, addresses and phone numbers. These references need to be different from those providing letters of recommendation.
Typewritten responses to the following management questions. Please limit your responses for each question to one page.
a. Describe your management style.
b. State and discuss your philosophy of therapeutic recreation.
c. What issues do you consider to be critically important to the therapeutic recreation field today?
d. If given the opportunity, how will you attempt to resolve these issues?
e. If you were chosen for the position, what steps would you take as the Association’s new leader in your first 120 days?
Salary history for the past 5 years.
Complete set of up-to-date credentials which include legal proof verifying educational degrees. Transcript or copy of degree is acceptable.
Written permission to contact past employers and permission to have a criminal background check completed.