Purpose of Position:
The building supervisor will be responsible for opening and closing the Palos Heights Recreation Center and serving as a person of authority in the absence of a full time staff member. The building supervisor will assist the facility manager in many aspects of building operations as directed.
Essential Job Functions:
• Quickly and cordially respond to all participants concerns resolving issues in favor of the participant and within the Palos Heights operational concept. Refer any unresolved or difficult situations to the facility manager. • Open the facility when required on time and with efficiency, working with the prescribed opening procedures. • Close the facility displaying unparalleled thoroughness and responsibility, following the prescribed closing procedures. • Serve as a liaison between staff and participants, and members in absence of the full time staff team. • Enforce facility, program, and fitness center policies at all times. • Assist the full time staff team with supervision and execution of all operations as directed. • Make sure equipment is in its proper place and in working order. • Contribute to the recreation center’s pristine look and feel through periodic facility upkeep. Report and/or refer larger problems to the facility manager, custodial staff, or facility technician. • Initiate and participate in the set-up/tear down of programs and daily activities. • Reports any equipment mechanical problems or damage to facility manager as well as ensuring that any equipment deemed inoperable is not used under any circumstances. • Take the lead in initiating emergency responses. Administer CPR/First Aid and complete and submit all related documentation. • Maintain a neat and professional personal appearance, by wearing the PHPR Recreation Department uniform and name badge as outlined in the Uniform and Dress Code Standards. • Must make decisions that accurately reflect the vision, mission and values of the Palos Heights Parks and Recreation Department. • Other duties as assigned. Safety and Risk Management:
• Addresses unsafe employee behaviors by approaching, correcting and reporting.
• Responds in emergency situations, notifying the appropriate authorities when necessary.
• Follows safety disciplinary policies and procedures.
• Requests staff assistance when lifting and or moving objects 50 lbs. or greater, when possible, to reduce lifting and moving injury exposures.
• Attends safety in-service trainings and may complete safety inspections. • Completes incident/accident report forms and promptly forwards them to the Facility Manager.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Safety and Security – Use good safety awareness, judgment and follow policies; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment, following manufacturer safety instructions; and follow agency ergonomic policies and procedures. • Attendance/Punctuality – Demonstrate consistent attendance and on-time arrival. • Dependability – Follow instructions and management direction; take responsibility for own actions; keep commitments; and complete tasks on time or notifies appropriate person. • Planning/Organizing – Prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently. • Judgment – Exhibit sound and appropriate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; and make timely decisions. • Professionalism – Approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect; accept responsibility for own actions; and follow through on commitments. • Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem-solving situations; and use reason even when dealing with emotional topics. • Customer Service – Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; and meet commitments. • Interpersonal Skills – Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; and remain open to others' ideas and tries new things. Must have ability to deal with people and patrons under stressful situations. • Teamwork – Promote and support work teams; put success of team above own interests; and support everyone's efforts to succeed. • Oral Communication – Listen and get clarification, and respond well to questions. • Organizational Support – Follow policies and procedures.
Individual must be over the age of 21 and possess effective communication and customer service skills. Must have an interest in facility management and positive record of delivering customer service. Must be aware of and learn to anticipate member needs. Must be willing to maintain a clean and safe work environment. CPR and First Aid certifications a plus or must be willing to obtain within three months from date of hire.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to members or employees of organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. • Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Palos Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.