The Clarendon Hills Park District, which serves a family oriented community of 8500 citizens, has an opening for a full-time Landscape Specialist in the Park Maintenance Department.
The successful applicant must be knowledgeable in and have an advanced understanding of turf and landscape practices in order to provide vigorous and viable plant health. The candidate must also have an eye for detail, be technology savvy, able to collaborate with the public and employees, and have a mechanical aptitude.
The Landscape Specialist is responsible for performing and overseeing a variety of duties related to park landscapes, trees and turf as well as the installation and maintenance or repair of park district properties, district amenities and park equipment.
• A minimum of an Associate Degree in Turf or Ornamental Horticulture or Landscape Management or related field of study and have at least 1 year demonstrable turf, landscape and park maintenance experience.
• Have an Illinois Pesticide Public Applicators license with categories in Turf, Ornamentals, Right of Ways and Aquatics or be eligible to obtain such within three months of employment.
• Have or be eligible to obtain a valid Illinois driver’s license prior to employment.
• Have Supervisory experience.
• Preference will be given to certified individuals being members in good standing with an industry related professional society or association.
• Holders of certificates of completion in landscape management, horticultural sciences, or sports turf management with 2-5 years of park district related experience may be considered.
-Sample of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise assigned staff and work with contractors
• Turf, plant and tree management following the District's Integrated Pest Management Program
• Provide creative and sustainable landscapes
• Maintain and repair plant beds, athletic fields, courts, playgrounds and buildings
• Operate and care for vehicles and park equipment
• Perform maintenance and mechanical repairs on vehicles and park equipment
• Perform janitorial duties and remove garbage and refuse
• Remove snow and ice from properties and maintain ice rinks
• Perform skilled and semi-skilled tasks; i.e., painting, carpentry, electrical, welding and plumbing
• Organize and maintain necessary records and follow written and verbal instructions
For consideration email (as a PDF), fax or mail your cover letter, resume, references and a completed application by September 6, 2019. Expecting to fill the position by October 30, 2019.
Application available at: https://www.clarendonhillsparkdistrict.org/Information/documents/Employmentapplication.pdf
A complete job description will be provided to preferred applicants, others by request.
Candidates under consideration will be invited to complete additional knowledge and skills evaluations and asked to submit necessary documents for drivers abstract and background checks.
From the pool of candidates employment verification will be made, personal interviews may be offered, and onsite skills demonstrations may be required. Pending approval, the final candidate must pass a pre-employment physical and drug test.