We are seeking a full-time Athletic Field Maintenance Crew Leader to lead a crew of landscape maintenance workers to perform skilled maintenance work in the care and upkeep of outdoor athletic facilities and the outdoor landscape. Responsibilities include performing routine landscape and athletic field maintenance work while leading and providing guidance with task completion for a crew of maintenance staff. Position reports to the Parks Grounds Supervisor.
40 hours per week with the ability to work overtime as needed. 7am - 3pm, Tuesday - Saturday shift from April to November. Monday - Friday shift from end of November through March. Winter hours may vary based on ice making and snow plowing needs.
Freezing temperatures only: Outdoor ice making schedule is a weather dependent rotation between landscape crew members (generally once week a month with overnight schedule Monday - Friday 11pm - 7am).
Position offers a full benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays off, and enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Train and lead the day-to-day task performance of seasonal staff in athletic field maintenance duties.
• Prepare and inspect athletic facilities or parks daily for safety and ensures corrective action is taken as needed.
• Perform maintenance performs maintenance and repair work in athletic facilities on a routine basis.
• Operate equipment including chalk liners, line painters, drag mats, blowers, mowers, riding mowers, line trimmers, field sweepers, pressure washers and a variety of hand tools and hand power tools; operate automotive equipment; operate trucks and other equipment for snow removal.
• Coordinate and provide guidance to off-season athletic facility maintenance; in-field renovation, turf renovation or other maintenance as needed.
• Construct and maintain ice surfaces at outdoor ice rinks.
• Assist in determining materials and supplies needed for projects; purchase and store project materials.
• Perform general grounds maintenance activities on a routine basis; mowing, planting, cultivating and watering grass, trees, flowers and shrubs; operate spraying equipment to apply chemical substances to grass (stimulate growth or control weeds, diseases and pests).
• Prepare initial layout or set-up of athletic fields and maintains fields according to specifications of scheduled events, including baseball, softball, soccer, football, field hockey, etc.
• Inspect grounds and fields daily to determine field conditions (i.e. playability of fields), safety concerns and maintenance needs and report to the appropriate staff.
• Collaborate with internal and external customers; respond to affiliate inquiries and communicate with Athletic Supervisors.
• Respond to emergency requests for repairs outside of regular work hours.
• Enforce and communicate safety rules and procedures; address and correct unsafe conditions.
• Report any work-related or patron injuries, incidents or unsafe conditions to supervisor.
• Foster and maintain effective professional working relationships with the general public and co-workers.
• Perform related duties as assigned
For more details on duties and responsibilities, visit nbparks.org/jobs.
• Four years of high school, including two (2) years’ experience in athletic field maintenance, general grounds maintenance or tug management. Crew leader experience is preferred
• Possession of an Illinois Pesticide Operators License or ability to obtain within three months of date of hire and possession of a valid Illinois Driver’s License Class D
• Possession of a valid Illinois Driver’s License Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) desired, not required
• Operate tools and equipment used in maintenance, trucks, tractors and trailer
• Prepare required records and reports
• Work independently and efficiently without direct supervision
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; follow oral and written instructions
• Become CPR and AED certified
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Required to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb, smell, talk and hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various tools and equipment. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Uses material handling equipment or staff assistance when lifting and or moving objects 50 pounds or greater.
Work is performed in mostly in an outdoor setting. Work may be performed indoors. Work may be performed with exposure to warm and/or cool temperatures and/or icy conditions for short or long periods of time.Works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration.
APPLY online at nbparks.org/jobs