TITLE: Assistant Park Ranger
DEPARTMENT: Loud Thunder Forest Preserve
SUPERVISOR: Loud Thunder Site Superintendent
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Represented Employee – AFSCME 2025A
CLASSIFICATION: Assistant Park Ranger – Grade 23
Under general direction performs a variety of responsible duties in the operation and maintenance of a forest preserve or park. Work includes patrolling the site to ensure proper maintenance and security, and considerable public contact work. The incumbent is responsible for performing maintenance duties in the maintenance and repair of grounds and public facilities. The employee and supervisor, in consultation, develop deadlines, projects and work to be done.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Performs visual inspections of park property and facilities. Checks for maintenance and reports security problems.
· Duties include:
o Issuing camping permits, inform and assist park visitors of rules and regulations, patrol grounds to insure compliance with regulations.
o Registers and ensures the safety of visitors.
o Responds to inquires or requests for service.
· Plans, schedules and assigns the work of subordinates in the maintenance of grounds, facilities, vehicles and equipment.
· Collects and records cash receipts, prepares deposit tickets, deposits monies and balances cash reports. Prepares and maintains various records and reports.
· Assumes responsibilities for absent subordinates as needed.
· Performs the duties and assumes the responsibilities of the Park Ranger in his absence.
· Shall assist in emergencies.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
Education, Experience, & License Requirements:
· A Bachelor’s degree in forestry or closely related field supplemented by one year of experience in public preserve or park operation, or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of forestry and parks management.
· Ability to learn and willingness to adhere to Rock Island County Forest Preserve District standards and codes, practices, policies and procedures.
· Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates in the maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment.
· Ability to communicate with the public tactfully and courteously.
· Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
· Skill in the operation of grounds maintenance equipment, such as power mowers, tractors, chain saws and related equipment.
Physical Requirements: Task involves the regular, and at times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces, and lifting or carrying moderately heavy (20-50 pound) items and occasionally very heavy (100 pounds or over) items; or may involve the complex operation of gasoline, electric, or diesel-powered machinery or shop equipment requiring the manipulation of multiple controls, fine and adjustments or both; or the sustained operation, on a production basis, of such devices as offset presses with associated equipment.
Environmental Requirements: Task may require frequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Sensory Requirements: Task requires color perception and discrimination. Task requires sound perception and discrimination. Task requires odor perception and discrimination. Task requires depth perception and discrimination. Task requires texture perception and discrimination. Task requires visual perception and discrimination. Task requires oral communications ability.