Viewing By Category: Administration & Finance | View All
Executive Director – Western Springs Park District
The Western Springs Park District Board of Commissioners invites applications for the position of Executive Director. The Board will select an Executive Director to fill this position and begin employment at the district approximately on January 1, 2015. The Western Springs Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
November 7, 2014 Deadline for Applications to be Postmarked
November 18, 2014 Candidates Presented to the Board
November 22-December 7, 2014 Board Begins Interview Process
January 1, 2015 Tentative Date of Employment
The starting salary range for the position of Executive Director is $65,000 to $80,000. Salary and benefits will be negotiable with the Board of Commissioners depending on qualifications and experience.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in parks and recreation administration or related field, preferred.
• Five to seven years administrative experience in the park and recreation field. Experience as a director preferred.
• A person of great integrity, self-confidence, and charisma.
• Effective interpersonal skills. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with all types of individuals and have proven administrative and management skills based on positive human relations, interactive communication skills, and a commitment to high public visibility.
• Demonstrated success in budget management. Must have experience in the creation of a sound fiscal program including: capital projects, budgeting, forecasting, and other alternative funding sources; e.g. foundations/federal/state grants and enterprise operations.
• Strong personnel management skills, including the ability to assign personnel and delegate responsibilities with assurance and accountability. Preferred management style is one that is collaborative and emphasizes team management.
• Demonstrated experience with involving communities in collaborative processes for park planning. Background in community involvement and working with volunteers.
• Ability to enhance broad public understanding and support of the agency’s services and future needs.
• Maintain and improve community services with a record of a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
• Comprehensive planning skills and experience. Ability to assess community needs and research trends and innovative concepts as they apply to improvement of the agency operations and long- range planning.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to use technology to streamline processes, promote the agency, and communicate with stakeholders.
• Strong background and knowledge in facility, field and park maintenance.
• Ability to work closely with the locally elected board and an in-depth understanding of board/director relationships.
All applications or inquiries should be referred to:
Screening Committee—Western Springs Park District
Illinois Association of Park Districts
Attn: Peter Murphy
211 East Monroe Street
Springfield, IL 62701-1186
Applications should be marked personal and confidential.
All applicant packets must be completed by November 7, 2014 and must contain the information below in order to meet Board consideration. All documents (other than education credentials) must have a left margin of 1.5 inches. Each numbered item below needs to be on a separate page. Please do not bind or staple.
1. Formal letter of application indicating reasons you desire to be a candidate.
2. Current resume including, but not limited to, employment history, responsibilities, number of employees supervised and budget amount managed.
3. Complete list of accomplishments/completed projects.
4. At least three (3) current letters of recommendation. These written references ideally should include a balance of former employers, employees and board members.
5. Three to six (3-6) professional references with complete names, addresses and phone numbers. These references need to be different from those providing letters of recommendation and will be contacted by the Illinois Association of Park Districts upon receipt.
6. Typewritten responses to the following management questions. Please limit your response to each question to one page.
A) Describe your management style.
B) State and discuss your philosophy of parks and recreation.
C) What issues do you consider to be critically important to the park and recreation field today?
D) If given the opportunity, how will you attempt to resolve these issues?
E) If chosen for the position, what steps will you take as the district’s new leader in your first 120 days?
7. Salary history for the past 5 years.
8. Complete set of up-to-date credentials which include legal proof verifying educational degrees. Transcript or copy of
diploma is acceptable.
9. Written permission to contact past employers and written permission to have a criminal background check.
The Park District of Oak Park is looking for a part-time Head Youth Sports Class Instructor. This position leads classes of participants in various youth sports for ages 2-9. This includes basketball, football, soccer, floor hockey, and t-ball. You can view the job advertisement and apply online at www.pdop.org, Job Id# 866. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer!
"Take Time for Fun"
Under the direction of the Aquatics Superintendent, the Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for the administration of the Joliet Park District’s aquatic program, including Splash Station Waterpark and Presence Saint Joseph Inwood Athletic Club’s indoor pool.
Supervise all operations of each facility. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, deck staff, concessions staff, maintenance staff, lifeguards, pool managers, swim instructors, party hosts, and swim coaches.
Produce accurate work on a timely basis; ability to perform required duties with initiative, good judgment, accuracy, persistence, creativity, integrity, tact and courtesy.
Education & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Management, Leisure Service, Recreation Management, or related field. Minimum of three years of aquatic experience. Basic understanding of computer operations including but not limited to Microsoft Office and computerized registration systems. Previous experience in working with the public.
Must possess strong oral and written communication skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current lifeguard certificate. Current lifeguard instructor certificate. Current water safety instructor certificate. Current first aid and CPR certification. Certified Pool and Spa Operator or Aquatic Facility Operator certification required. Valid Illinois driver’s license.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Reach with hands to climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is required to sit, talk, and hear. Must be able to swim 50 yards and be able to drive a motorized vehicle.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and equipment and in outdoor weather conditions as well as in an office environment. Employee frequently works in precarious situations, and exposed to fumes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Hire, train, supervise subordinates and personnel at each aquatic facility. Responsibilities include development of policies and procedures for the operation of the aquatic program including but not limited to: cash handling, maintenance logs, staff assignments and training manuals. Other duties may be assigned.
Develop a safety and emergency plan and train all staff. This will include working with the Joliet Fire and Police Departments.
Develop a marketing plan for each facility and implement plan with the general public, subordinates, and Park District staff. Recruit and properly train all staff at each facility. Perform the completion of all reports on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.
Insure that the water quality is safe at each facility and properly maintained. Includes monitoring water clarity, pump maintenance, chemical monitoring, filter operations, heater operations, daily maintenance, and other duties.
Work with proper staff to order, maintain, and distribute supplies to proper facility.
Develop, supervise, and implement all cash handling procedures.
Work with Stadium/Aquatics Superintendent to prepare yearly budget.
Develop special events for each facility, including the marketing and coordinating of events.
Develop a marketing plan for group outing, birthday parties, and private rentals at each facility.
Develop and supervise aquatic programming for each facility, including but not limited to swim lessons and swim team.
Develop training and in-service for all lifeguards at both facilities. Make sure all are properly trained and certified.
Implement CPR and First Aid training program for entire Park District.
Work with proper first aid companies to ensure compliance of all Park District first aid cabinets and AED’s.
Be able to properly assess current weather conditions for the safety or patrons at each facility.
Work with other Park District staff on group outing for other programming, such as youth groups and special recreation.
The Oakbrook Terrace Park District is looking to fill the position of Superintendent of Recreation. The desired candidate will be an innovative, team player, who can think outside the box, and help take the district to the next level.
SUMMARY: The Superintendent of Recreation is responsible for the oversight of all recreation and fitness programming and facilities. The Superintendent of Recreation is a full-time employee working a minimum of 40 hours per week. Work pace is moderate depending on the task required. The position of Superintendent of Recreation requires the ability to work in an active pace (10 lbs or more).
QUALIFICATIONS: The Superintendent of Recreation should have a Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation or a related field. The Superintendent of Recreation must have at least 5 years of full time experience in a Parks and Recreation related position, with progressive supervisory experience. The Superintendent of Recreation must have experience working with VSI and Microsoft computer programs. Ideal candidate will have experience managing multiple facilities and full time staff.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: The Superintendent of Recreation is under the supervision of the Executive Director.
1. Provide direct leadership to both the Recreation and Fitness departments.
2. Evaluate the need for new programs and events as well as making suggestions of retiring out dated programs and events.
3. Lead the creation of the Fitness and Recreation Department budget.
4. Provide direct supervision of the Fitness and Athletics Supervisor, Recreation Supervisor, Registration Clerk, Splash Pad Manager and Preschool staff.
5. Monitor revenue and expenses for Recreation and Fitness programs, events, and facilities.
6. Provide communication to the staff about Park District policies.
7. Host meetings with all staff to provide opportunities for growth within the organization.
8. Communicate consistently with the Executive Director about all Park District matters.
9. Work with staff to ensure all contracted and Park District Instructors have turned in all necessary documentation (certificates of insurance, professional licenses, training certificates)
10. Assemble the seasonal brochure for the recreation and fitness content areas.
11. Offer policy changes and new policies to the Executive Director to improve Park District operations.
12. Attend weekly staff meetings.
13. Attend Park Board Meetings as required.
14. Knowledge of Park District policies and procedures.
15. Ability to accept other duties as assigned.
16. Attend Park District Special Events
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAITS:
1. Excellent customer service skills, (internal and external customers)
2. Ability to successfully use the secondary electronic devices: copy machine, postage machine, laminator and label maker.
3. Work well with all departments and personalities.
1. Have an advanced knowledge of all programs, special events, and memberships; as well as how and where to obtain additional information.
2. Assist all employees of the Park District as needed.
Coordinate the administration of all IT functions which includes computer operations, voice/data networks, security technology, printers/copiers, integration projects and IT implementation for a multi-facility infrastructure.
Oversee the day-to-day computer needs and provide support to all end-users, including setup of new users and PC’s, IT needs for opening of seasonal facilities. Responsible for supporting the integrity of the computer working environment, all computer equipment and applications, and telecommunications systems.
Two or four year degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems or related field. Minimum two years experience in computer systems, hardware/software installation or network support. Prefer knowledge of Microsoft SQL Servers, Microsoft Exchange, anti-virus software, MS Windows, VOIP and software for registration, accounting, time management and payroll. Position includes exceptional benefits.
Batavia Park District is committed to providing fun, safe and innovative open space and recreational opportunities that will enrich the quality of life for our residents.
The Director of Community Recreation is responsible for the overall management of recreation staff, programming and recreation facilities. We are seeking to fill this position with an energetic leader who is ready to update our vision and lead staff in best business practices. Coaching a staff of six full-time recreations supervisors, developing relationships within the community, and forward thinking are vital parts of this role.
Candidate must model our values: integrity, trust, respect, creativity, motivation, growth, clarity and teamwork. A history of leading cross-communication and collaboration are also necessary for success.
Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation Management or related field with a minimum of five years of experience. Experience supervising full time employees and CPRP (or CPRE) preferred.
View full job description and apply online at www.bataviaparks.org. Please attach your cover letter, resume, and salary history.
We have a highly competitive benefits package including: health insurance, life insurance, paid time off (including holiday, vacation, personal, and sick), 457 deferred compensation plan, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, annual program stipend, etc. Batavia Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.