Full time, IMRF with health and dental benefits.
Primary responsibility is to ensure that all persons have a safe and enjoyable experience while visiting or using the Westmont Park District facilities.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Superintendent of Recreation manages and directs the Recreation Department. The Superintendent of Recreation recruits, trains and evaluates staff personnel under his/her direction, including full-time Recreation Department staff, Registration office and Park Patrol personnel. The Superintendent of Recreation prepares necessary records and reports for the District’s needs. Also oversees all in-house, contracted, and athletics programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare recreation department proposed and actual budgets, submits to the Executive Director.
- Assist Recreation Staff by monitoring the budgets and wages for part time staff within the Recreation Department.
- Ensure Coordinators are administering programs within budget expectations through regular review with staff.
Program & Community Involvement
- Plan program needs in relationship to the District’s population and existing related community recreation outlets.
- Set program goals and objectives in relationship to a comprehensive program for all ages and genders.
- Coordinate the Haunted Forest Event.
- Chair for Westmont’s Holly Days Winter Festival Committee.
- Serve on the Westmont Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
- Coordinates ongoing relationship with various local school districts for cooperative use of facilities.
- Prepare information for seasonal program guide.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director work with the Park District team and numerous community partners to plan, coordinate and attend special events hosted by the District and community.
- Establish personnel needs and requirements to maintain highest professional level of competence.
- Supervise the recruitment and hiring of all recreation department staff, registration office staff and Park Patrol.
- Supervise Recreation Staff and evaluate their performance. Report evaluations and possible merit increases to the Executive Director.
- Assist Recreation Staff in the completion of work assignments when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains a cost analysis system of the various activities of the Recreation Department.
- Prepares routine and special reports and records necessary for the effective operation of the department and/or when requested by the Executive Director.
- Receives and reviews reports from staff members and takes or recommends necessary action.
- Submit monthly Board report for inclusion in the Board packet prior to the regularly scheduled monthly Board meeting.
- Studies recreational needs and recommends action to meet them.
- Inspects regularly and appraises any need for repairs or improvements in Westmont Community Center.
- Assists the Executive Director in personnel matters including recruitments, selection, and training of departmental personnel.
- Attend monthly Park Board meeting and/or other meetings and events as required by the District.
- Participate and assist at various District functions and special events.
- Manages RecTrac codes/ information when it relates to the Recreation Department.
- Perform any additional related tasks as needed.
Generally, 8:30 am – 5:00 PM (1/2-hour lunch), Monday through Friday. Some weekend, holiday, and evening work will be required (varies with the season).
Comprehensive knowledge of youth and adult recreation. Must possess the ability to speak in public and good written and verbal communication skills. Good computer skills, proficient with Word, Publisher, Excel, Outlook. Experience with RecTrac registration system preferred.
Graduation from a four-year accredited college or university with an emphasis in Park and Recreation or related field. Certification by Illinois or other National Certification Board approved plan is desirable. Full-time staff supervision experience preferred. Ability to learn current registration software and inquire within. Must have a valid driver’s license and provide own transportation.
- Obey the practical safety rules, regulations and procedures established by the safety program that is pertinent to the activities conducted by the department.
- Daily supervision of all staff safety and training programs to ensure compliance by all employees.
- Promptly report to Safety Coordinator or member of Safety Committee all unsafe actions, practices or conditions observed.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Personnel and Employment Policy.
In an 8-hour workday employee may engage in activities that may include, but are not limited to: standing, sitting, walking, driving, bending, twisting and lifting.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with liabilities to perform the essential functions.
English must be spoken, read and understood to perform the functions of this position.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but may be high in some instances.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and Westmont Park District employment application, to Jobs@WestmontParks.org.
Link to application: http://westmontparks.org/General-Info/pdfs/forms/application%20for%20employment.pdf