Do you like to work outside in a park setting? If so, the McHenry County Conservation District is currently seeking an Assistant Park Ranger who will help the Park Ranger oversee the public’s daily use as well as assists in the maintenance of park sites and provide assistance with special events.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Participates in the development and maintenance of an assigned park or conservation sites and/or facilities. Maintenance includes, but not limited to, grass mowing, brush cutting, and wood chipping as well as inspecting and cleaning buildings, restrooms, picnic areas and campgrounds.
• Performs assigned trail grooming operations.
• Assist with locating property corners, installs, and inspects conspicuous boundary signs.
• Assists in all phases of in-house park and facility maintenance projects.
• Helps prepare park or conservation area sites for receiving new visitors in the spring and for closing operations in the late fall.
• Performs repair work using district vehicles and equipment as well as handles routine repair of site facilities.
• Participates in site inspections. • Assist in landscaping maintenance projects. • Performs snow removal. • Interacts with the public and provides information and/or assistance • In cooperation with the District's Police Officers, assists in enforcing district rules and regulations. Informs Police of vandalism or illegal activities.
• Reports on and/or helps removes hazards (i.e. tree removal) in park sites or facilities.
• In the absence of the Park Ranger, may fill in as interim Park Ranger when needed.
Qualifications for this position include, but not limited to:
• High school diploma or GED.
• Six (6) months of experience in landscape or park construction work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• A valid, current motor vehicle operator's license.
• Working knowledge of the use in safely operating construction and maintenance equipment.
• Ability to obtain chainsaw certification within one year.
• Maybe required to obtain an Illinois herbicide/ pesticide applicator's license.
• Basic knowledge of Word and Excel programs.
• Skill in working effectively with co-workers and in communicating with the public.