Job Title: Custodian
Reports to: Custodial Manager
Revised: October 2022
The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of skilled tasks in the custodian care and maintenance of the Lemont Park District facilities including grounds.
This is an at-will position.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
• The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• May be required to work evenings and weekends. Change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
• Sweep, vacuum, mop, dust, shampoo, strip, wax, polish, and buff floors. Clean up park areas and outside facility cleanup. Dump trash cans and garbage and reline cans with liners.
• Clean and sanitize restrooms and replenish supplies; clean spills; clean drinking fountains; clean mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, blinds, lighting fixtures, etc.
• Wash windows, walls, metal, and woodwork. Picks up litter from buildings and grounds.
• Perform minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance and repairs such as painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, and other unskilled and semi-skilled trades of work.
• Inspect and maintain assigned custodial equipment and small tools for proper operating conditions.
• Open and close, lock and unlock facilities as needed.
• Maintains current skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of custodial maintenance.
• Immediately notify the Risk Manager of any safety hazards in District buildings, grounds, and facilities.
• Assist Custodial Manager in inventory and acts as department head in the event Custodial Manager is out of the office.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must be 21 years of age with High School Graduate or Equivalent.
• Microsoft and Excel Skills required.
• Valid Illinois Driver’s License.
• Must be CPR/AED certified within 6 months of hire.
• Working knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance; working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
• Requires skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Requires the ability to lift heavy objects, walk, and stand for long periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, some bending, kneeling, and reaching items off floor and high shelves is required. Performing repetitive hand/arm movements as when hammering, drilling, or sawing. Climbing ladders and reaching to perform work, such as changing light bulbs or painting. Sitting for sustained periods of time when operating a tractor. Lifting and moving with loads for long periods of time, as when stocking storerooms. Walking and bending for sustained periods of time, as when working on pumps and motors or bending to pick up litter. Standing for sustained periods of time while checking area/equipment, etc. Reading handwritten information and writing legibly. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Employee must have the physical agility to maintain mobility from site to site and be able to perform heavy manual tasks (a pre-employment drug screening and physical examination will be required after conditional job offer).
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be exposed to noise distractions from employees or equipment operation in adjacent work areas. Employee may be required to work both inside and outside during various environmental conditions, such as, but not limited to, rain and mud, extremely hot and cold temperatures, exposure to dust, fumes, dirt, noise, insect bites and exposure to hazardous chemicals.