2023 Career Center Rates Career Center User's Guide Internship Deadlines
JOB OPENING - YOUTH SPORTS & ENGAGEMENT SPECIALIST
POSITION: FULL TIME
Starting salary range: $45,000 - $52,000 annually based on qualifications & experience.
OUR MISSION We contribute to a healthy and vibrant Peoria community by responsibly using our District resources to offer high quality parks and recreation experiences to those who live, work and play in our District.
OVERVIEW Under the supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation, the Youth Sports & Engagement Manager is responsible for a number of duties described below.
RESPONSIBILITIES • Coordinate and focus the District’s effort to ensure opportunities for participation in PPD sports programming throughout the District’s service area, with a special emphasis on those living in underserved neighborhoods. • Recruit participants to youth and adult sports leagues through the planning and facilitation of skills and exposure clinics to include baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, and others as budgeted and assigned by the Superintendent of Recreation. • Coordinate and oversee mobile seasonal sports programming in Park District parks and facilities focused on engaging youth and families to include one-day tournaments and fun days. • Support the planning and facilitation of youth and adult sports leagues as requested • Challenge and develop alternatives to traditional operations. Foster a creative, innovative environment in which new ideas are encouraged and valued and opportunities to bring about change are identified and explored. • Assist in the evaluation and strategic growth of athletic programming and services across the District to meet community needs and interests. • Confer with representatives of public and private agencies and other community organizations to coordinate and collaborate to provide quality recreation/athletic programming. • Act as liaison with community school districts, agencies, and other groups to strengthen relationships and better coordinate cooperative services and programming with emphasis on sports. • Perform varied public relations duties for the promotion of Park District programs and facilities; speak before local groups and organizations; coordinate promotional and advertising campaigns. • Prepare relevant budgets, maintain department operations within existing budgetary limitations; track relevant data to ensure accountability and impact of programming as directed. • Prepare and submit appropriate records and reports of department operations and activities necessary to support administrative policy and relevant grant requirements. • Provide direct supervision to relevant full and part time staff as designated by the Executive Director of Parks & Recreation. • Follow all safety procedures that pertain to the duties performed. Support all aspects of the Park District safety program. • Perform all other duties as assigned.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
• Four-year college degree with major in recreation, physical education, sports management, or closely related field. Master’s degree in related field is highly desirable.
• Four years or more of professional experience with at least two years in a supervisory capacity in recreation, sports management, and physical education or closely related activities.
• Understanding of basic philosophy underlying a sound community recreation sports program and ability to interpret that philosophy to staff and the public.
• Ability to fully engage in community problem-solving activities; to pursue and lead activities that will support and encourage participation by all residents of the Peoria Park District.
• Understanding of industry trends and research regarding the importance of leisure in people’s daily lives, and ability to link that knowledge within programs and services specific to local community needs and interests.
• Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of sound business management relating to recreation and sports programming, service delivery, and evaluation.
• Ability to work cooperatively with representatives of community, public and private groups to support collaborative relationships that furthers the District’s mission, vision, and priorities.
• Working knowledge of the equipment and supplies needed in recreation, sports, and athletics settings. • Ability to perform varied public relations duties for the promotion of park district goals and objectives. • Ability to effectively coordinate, supervise and evaluate the duties and responsibilities of subordinate personnel engaged in a wide-ranging spectrum of recreational sports and athletics programming. • Ability to effectively coordinate, supervise, and evaluate the duties and responsibilities of subordinate personnel engaged in a wide-ranging spectrum of recreational sports programming. • Ability to work in a collaborative manner: ability to organize and work with a multidisciplinary group of professionals to achieve goals in a timely manner. • Ability to act as a positive role model in our community. • Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. • Familiarity with the basics of daily computer operations as it would relate to PPD programming, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
BENEFITS AND PERKS • Paid sick days, vacation days and holidays. • Longevity bonus program and wellness program. • Pension and retirement programs and Social Security participating. • Exceptional health plan. • Paid Life Insurance. • Disability Insurance. • Full-time employees and dependents enjoy discounted recreation classes and free admission to select Park District facilities.
HOW TO APPLY
• View Employment Opportunities and complete an online application in the “Join Our Team” section at www.peoriaparks.org.
• Applicants may submit a resume’, but to be fully considered for this position an online application must be completed.
• While we appreciate all submissions, due to high volume, only those applicants who are selected for interview will be contacted.
• Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. • The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, pregnancy, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service, protected veteran status or on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
• AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.