2023 Career Center Rates Career Center User's Guide Internship Deadlines
ABOUT US: The Des Plaines Park District, established in 1919, features more than 50 parks and facilities. As an Illinois Distinguished Accredited Agency, we service a culturally diverse and growing community with hundreds of affordable recreational and educational programs, classes, and events for kids, teens, adults, and families each season. "Enriching Lives Everyday" is our vision and our constant goal.
Job Title: Mechanic I
Grade: V - Starting $22.00
Reports to: Mechanical Operation Supervisor
Supervises: Part-time employees as required or instructed
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on all park maintenance equipment and vehicles, as well as other mechanical equipment at pools and other facilities as directed.
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 7:00-3:30pm
1. Perform regular preventative maintenance on vehicles, trucks, mowers and power equipment. Includes changing of fluids, tires, filters, etc.
2. Perform emergency repairs to equipment which is needed in the field for maintenance.
3. Order, pick up and maintain inventory for parts and supplies for vehicles and equipment
4. Keep detailed records of all maintenance and repairs.
5. Perform minor body work and painting.
6. Perform welding and fabrication of steel.
7. Winterize equipment for storage and service equipment for use each season.
8. Keep mower blades sharpened weekly.
9. Clean maintenance shop and keep it organized.
10. Review equipment and vehicles specifications for large purchase recommendations.
11. Troubleshoot mechanical problems in other facilities and parks as necessary.
12. Rebuild engine and motors, etc. on broken and damaged equipment.
1. Assist administrative staff with special maintenance requests.
2. May be required to perform overtime work as requested or required.
3. Attend related training to expand skills and knowledge
4. Assist patrons with providing information as requested.
5. Follow all safety policies and procedures as outlined in the Park District Safety and Crisis Manuals
6. Perform additional duties as assigned.
7. Member of a Park District committee as assigned.
8. Works/Volunteers for annual 3 day Fall Fest event in September
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
Experience: One years related experience.
Certification: CPR and First Aid Certification, available through the Park District; Valid Driver's License
PERKS & BENEFITS: FULL TIME STAFF
Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
Life insurance (basic & voluntary additional coverage)
IMRF Defined Benefit Pension
457 Defined Contribution Plan
Paid Time Off (sick, vacation, and personal)
Medical Flexible Spending Account
Health Savings Account with Employer Contribution (for applicable HDHP)
Park District Facility & Program Discounts
To apply, please visit dpparks.org/jobs