The Human Resource Assistant is under the direction of the Superintendent of Human Resources and Risk Management. Responsibilities include tasks directly related to recruiting, hiring and onboarding of staff, unemployment claims, workers compensation claims, benefits administration, management of the district’s HRIS system and other HR related functions and job duties. This position also works closely with the Safety and Training Coordinator with staff training and development and support of safety related programs. Work is performed in accordance with a prescribed program and established procedures with some opportunity for the exercise of independent judgment. This is an at-will position.
* Coordinates the recruitment of full-time and part-time staff, assists with hiring process.
* Attend applicable recruitment events and opportunities.
* Creates, updates and maintains onboarding and termination checklists and processes.
* Completes all onboarding paperwork including: I-9 verification, e-verify, criminal background checks, administration of pre-employment physicals, drug screens and assists with reference checks.
* Enters applicable onboarding documentation into HRIS.
* Works with the Superintendent of Human Resources and Risk Maangement, supervisory staff and attorneys regarding confidential employment information including; EEOC hearings, unemployment compensation hearings and other legal matters. Keeps all information confidential.
* Maintains HRIS software including; job postings, applications and forms, and assists with the supervisory staff in communication to applicants.
* Manages unemployment compensation claims in conjunction with Unemployment Consultants.
* Manages workers compensation claims, third party claims and property loss claims with the Park District Risk Management Agency.
* Manages benefit plans and enrollment including medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance program, IMRF pension, 457 deferred compensation and required ACA reporting.
* Responds to employment verifications.
* Manages the review of the OSHA 300 and 300A reporting annually by the deadline.
* Maintains all full-time and part-time employee personnel files.
* Assists with maintenance and updates of job descriptions when needed.
* Stays up to date on employment laws and best practices to ensure that the District’s Personnel Policy Manual and Safety Manual are current and compliant with applicable requirements. Recommends manual updates to the Superintendent of Human Resources and Risk Management.
* Assists the Safety and Training Coordinator with the administration, design and development of training programs to meet organizational needs including training new and existing staff regarding personnel policies and benefits. Assists in training supervisors in HR policies and procedures pertinent to their part-time and seasonal staff including onboarding and termination procedures.
* Assists in maintaining documentation on all full-time staff trainings.
* Manages, stores and properly disposes all human resources records and files, employment applications, and all other human resources documentation.
* Maintains employee confidentiality and protects operations by keeping human resource information confidential. Employee information will be used for the purposes of performing their job responsibilities and for no other purpose.
* Assists the Superintendent of Human Resources and Risk Mangement with special projects as requested and performs other duties as assigned.
* Supports DTPD’s Mission Statement, by providing excellent service to the community.
* Complete all additional duties as prescribed by management.
Assist the Superintendent of Human Resources and Risk Management with incident and accident investigations.
Assists the Business Services Department with administration of information for payroll, accounts payable and receivable as needed.
Assists the Executive Director and Deputy Director on special projects as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management, or a related field and three years of human resources generalist experience, which includes responsibility for maintaining electronic record keeping systems, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
HR Certification or equivalent preferred but not required.
Experience and knowledge in utilizing an HRIS system preferred.
Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
Spanish speaking a plus.
This is a full-time non-exempt position.
Standard workweek is Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week.
Work hours are core business hours, but can require early morning or evenings.
Weekend or holiday hours may be required as well as extended hours as needed.