The Recreation Supervisor position, under the direction and supervision of the Recreation Manager of Athletic and Events, oversees all special event operations including general special events, Teen Dances, and camp-related events, athletic leagues and contractual activities as assigned, as well as administers the District’s Volunteer Program. The projected hiring range is $41,840 - $50,000.
1. A bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management or related field is preferred.
2. Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) preferred.
3. Minimum of 3 years progressive experience in recreation or special event programming or related experience preferred.
4. Have a working knowledge of the recreation industry including programming, special event management, athletic programming, and volunteer management.
5. General knowledge of marketing principles, advertising mediums, and other promotional concepts.
6. Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational skills, and customer service skills are required.
7. Able to organize programs, volunteers, communicate with vendors and be able to respond to high volumes of phone calls, emails, and other inquiries.
8. Ability to prepare and manage an annual budget.
9. Computer skills with the ability to learn and use new computer software including Microsoft Office applications, web-based scheduling systems, and recreation registration software.
10. Work extended hours including nights, weekends, and holidays, as necessary.
11. Ability to understand and exhibit behavior consistent with Park District policies.
12. Must possess a valid Illinois State Driver’s License.
13. First Aid, AED, and CPR certification or the ability to obtain such within 90 days.
14. Prior to employment a successful criminal background check and physical/drug test by a Park District approved physician must be completed.
1. Professional management and oversight of the District’s special event activities, volunteer management program, athletic leagues, community sports organizations and contractual activities as assigned.
2. Recruit/hire, train, schedule, evaluate, and supervise all related staff/volunteers.
3. Monitor safety and all procedures as they pertain to the complete supervision of all participants and staff within school district (when applicable) and the Huntley Park District facilities.
4. Develop and ensure the proper inspection and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
5. Develop and maintain necessary program records, statistics, and reports.
6. Responsible for the timely and accurate submittal of purchase orders, invoices, bills, and payroll information in accordance with policies and procedures.
7. Works with School District staff on shared use of facilities and programming.
8. Serves as a Park District representative or point of contact for all other community sports organizations.
9. Order supplies, equipment, and distribute accordingly to activities and facilities.
10. Maintain an organized workspace, which includes, but not limited to having all the necessary supplies, forms, equipment, etc. needed for all programs.
11. Prepare seasonal activities for the brochure including development of programs and entering into registration software, promoting via website and social media.
12. Attend professional seminars, conferences, workshops, and technical meetings.
13. Respond to customers and staff within one business day. When this is not possible, indicate receipt of message and when to expect a full response.
14. Assist in customer service, which includes, but is not limited to, customer comments, complaints, and concerns. Employee will be assisting the customers in different ways, such as, but not limited to, in-person and over the phone, and must be able to assist them immediately or direct the customer to the appropriate staff if necessary.
15. Complete the necessary forms for accidents and incidents.
16. Works with supervisor to develop annual budget and goals and reviews and adjusts monthly as necessary.
17. Attend internal and external meetings as assigned.
1. Assists supervisor or Department Head as requested.
2. Assist other departmental staff with technology-related support as needed.
3. Assists and substitutes for staff as needed.
4. Actively markets programs via website, Facebook, and flyers.
5. Attend HPD committee and board meetings as requested.
1. Employee must have the ability to read and understand materials, such as, but not limited to, rules and regulations books, manuals, and schedules.
2. Employee must be able to make decisions objectively based on customer service and fiscal constraint.
3. Employee must be able to recognize, respond, and assist other first responder staff in potentially stressful emergency situations.
4. Employee is responsible for keeping organized records and reports.
1. Able to work independently in day-to-day operations with general direction of their supervisor.
2. Ability to delegate work, where appropriate, to accomplish work most effectively.
3. Demonstrate leadership qualities to perform required work.
4. Ability to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations.
5. Ability to recognize priorities and meet deadlines.
6. Ability to receive constructive criticism and/or supervision.
7. Ability to be flexible and adaptable to new situations.
8. Possess enthusiasm and drive with a desire to accomplish goals and objectives.
9. Possess a pleasant demeanor and can interact with the public in a courteous manner at all times.
10. Able to resolve differences and problems that arise with patrons, or when necessary, seek the assistance of their supervisor in resolving such issues.
1. Employee is exposed to indoor conditions – heat/air conditioning.
2. Employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions during special outdoor events, including extreme heat and humidity, cold, snow and rain.
3. Employee may sit for long periods of time doing computer-related work.
1. While performing this job, the employee is required to speak and listen, stand, walk, use hands, sit, stoop, or kneel, bend and lift and/or move up to 40 pounds or more with use of tools or equipment.
2. Employee must have the physical agility to maintain mobility from site to site and be able to perform manual tasks.
3. Employee may perform duties, which include, but not limited to lifting, stooping, bending, twisting, and climbing.
4. Employee may need to stand for prolonged periods of time.
5. Specific vision requirements include, distance, color vision, peripheral and depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
6. Must be able to maintain a safe and well-organized program.
7. Must be able to function in stressful situations.
8. Worker must be able to follow directions with safe follow through and exercise good judgment and safety awareness.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
1. Assure a safe and hazard free environment by inspecting and taking the necessary action to correct and safeguard against potential problems and/or accidents.
2. Must comply with all safety policies and procedures now or adopted in the future.
3. Be aware of, follow and enforce rules and standards set forth by state, local, and other industry-specific standards as they apply to our activities.
4. Follow directions with safe follow through and exercise good judgement and safety awareness.
5. Use all required PPE.
6. All unsafe conditions are to be reported to your supervisor or appropriate staff who can resolve the matter immediately.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICIES, SAFETY, ETC.
It is expected that all Huntley Park District Staff comply with the policies and procedures as set forth by the Huntley Park District Board of Commissioners. Resources that outline these policies and procedures include the Personnel Policy Manual, Safety Manual, Departmental Manual, Area or Job Specific Manuals and other written or verbal procedures as provided by your supervisor. As all situations cannot be documented even in manuals such as these, it is further expected that your actions as an employee are always performed with safety in mind, respect of your fellow staff and customers in mind, and at the direction of your supervisor. It is expected that all staff learn and understand these policies and procedures.
This job description is meant as an outline of the job and does not represent all duties.