Under the supervision of the Superintendent of Ice Arenas, this position is responsible for upkeep and maintenance of ice rink surfaces and surrounding facilities (player benches, locker rooms, garages, walkways, glass, boards, etc.) while keeping events on time according to the ice events schedule. This position will also have opened and/or closing responsibilities. This is a full-time, non-exempt, non-union position.
- Maintain Ice resurfacing machines including appearance, changing blades, greasing parts, battery upkeep, and changing oil (edger).
- May provide direction to part-time staff, contractor and/or volunteers as assigned.
- Responsible for ice maintenance including resurfacing, edging, flooding, filling holes, chipping ice along dasher boards and maintaining proper ice thickness as required by usage.
- Ice arena upkeep including taking out trash, cleaning locker rooms and bathrooms, players benches, flooring, and resurfacing garages.
- Responsible for cleaning-up and changing broken glass.
- Monitoring ice chiller system including filling logs, adding oil to compressors, adding brine when needed, testing brine solution levels, and evaluating ice plant.
- Ensures security of facility during all shifts—opening and closing.
- Keeping ice events on schedule.
- Maintaining and repairing hockey nets.
- Cleaning rink boards, glass and players benches as needed.
- Consistently demonstrates high ethical standards, good communication, and a professional appearance.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, trainings, and orientations.
- Attend work on a regular, reliable, and punctual basis
- Requires through knowledge of the techniques and equipment involved in the components of custodial maintenance, preventative maintenance, and the operations of an ice rink. Equipment includes but not limited to the ice resurfacer machines, ice edger, ice compressors, cooling towers, and boiler units.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, some evenings, and holidays as business operations demand.
- Must be highly motivated and take direction well with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbally.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service and get along with coworkers, patrons, and supervisors and interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner.
Education and Experience:
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of six (6) months of experience in ice rinks or one (1) year in maintenance.
- A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- CPR, First Aid and AED certificates or the ability to obtain upon hire.
- Additional related certifications.
- A valid Illinois Driver License or the ability to obtain upon hire and maintain an acceptable driving record preferred.
- Must be able to perform the following basic life operational functions; climbing, balancing, stooping kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, hearing and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform the following tasks; exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 40 pounds of force constantly.
- Must possess the visual acuity to operate machines and equipment including close inspection of moving and small parts, using measurement devices, perform assembly and fabrication of parts, prepare maintenance records and operate a computer terminal.
- Work is usually preformed in cold, wet, humid conditions (non-weather)
- Working in high, precarious places and some exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- Work is generally in a moderately noisy location
The physical demands and work environments described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Accommodations will be examined on a case-by-case basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required by personnel so classified.