The Oswegoland Board of Park Commissioners is seeking an Executive Director who will have extensive experience in parks and recreation operations. In addition to an extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of maintenance, open space management and trails planning, the successful candidate will have experience with municipal funding, land acquisition, park construction, and recreation program and facility management. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, collaborative leader with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The Oswegoland Park District was established in 1950 by a public referendum, the Oswegoland Park District is a separate governmental entity known as a “special district” and serves approximately 62,000 residents who live within this District’s 38-square-mile service area. This service area includes all of the Village of Oswego, parts of Montgomery, Aurora, and Plainfield, and all of Boulder Hill. The Oswegoland Park District also includes the surrounding countryside of Oswego Township and a tiny portion of Will County.
The successful candidate will:
- Report to the 5-person elected Board of Commissioners, and implement and administer the policies adopted by the Board.
- Possess a clear vision and goals for the agency’s future and communicate that vision clearly and effectively to staff and all sectors of the community.
- Be present and approachable with community members, board members, and staff.
- Participate and engage in various District and community events and programs.
- Possess a wide range of experience across diverse types of parks, facilities, and recreation experiences.
- Have strong planning, capital project management, and facility renovation experience.
- Possess the financial skills and experience to support and lead the District’s fiscal future.
- Be able to collaborate with a highly talented team of employees, agency partners, the school district, and the Village of Oswego.
- Be a transformative leader, a conductor/connector that takes action confidently and decisively.
- Have a proven track record of connecting with stakeholders and working innovatively to deliver the parks, programs and services desired by the community.
- Be a person who leads and motivates by personal example, encouraging high standards of performance, productivity, accountability and ethical conduct from self and all staff.
A board of five elected Park Board Commissioners set policy and conduct the official business of the District. The Executive Director, who is hired by the Board, manages the day-to-day operations of the District, and oversees a staff of 50 full-time, 220 part-time, and 185 seasonal employees. The District also offers the residents 7 facilities, 66 parks, and over 18 miles of paths and trails and has an annual operating budget of over $17,000,000.
Experience and Education:
- Must have experience leading an organization of similar complexity and have a broad range of experience with the diverse types of community-based recreation services, programs, and facilities that the Oswegoland Park District offers.
- Should have at least 10 years of progressive management and operational experience at a parks and recreation agency, park district, municipal department, or related field with experience overseeing the management of a large team of employees.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, Leisure Studies, Facility Management, Public Administration, Business, Finance, or a related field.
- Master’s degree is a plus.
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Parks and Recreation Executive (CPRE) designation is preferred.
The hiring salary range for this position is $150,000 to $200,000. The actual salary will be determined by the selected candidate's qualifications and commensurate experience. Additionally, the Oswegoland Park District offers an extensive benefit plan, including a defined benefit pension plan, competitive health, dental, vision, and life insurance, 457 savings plan, car allowance, flexible spending plan, and a variety of other recreational benefits.
Apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com
with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five (5) professional references by Monday, September 25, 2023. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joe DeLuce or Chuck Balling, Vice Presidents, and Executive Recruiters, GovHR USA. TEL: 847-380-3240.
The Oswegoland Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.