ABOUT US: The Des Plaines Park District, established in 1919, features more than 50 parks and facilities. As an Illinois Distinguished Accredited Agency, we service a culturally diverse and growing community with hundreds of affordable recreational and educational programs, classes, and events for kids, teens, adults, and families each season. "Enriching Lives Everyday" is our vision and our constant goal.
Job Title: Landscape Maintenance Supervisor
Grade: 9 - $61,049 - $72,000
Reports to: Superintendent of Parks & Planning
Supervises: Full Time Landscape I, Landscape II , Assistant Landscape Supervisor, Seasonal/Part-Time Grounds Maintenance Workers
BASIC FUNCTION: The Landscape Maintenance, with the assistance of the Assistant Landscape Supervisor, is directly responsible for the coordination and supervision of landscape, forestry and horticultural related maintenance operations to provide safe, functional and aesthetically pleasing facilities and grounds. In addition this position oversees all sports field maintenance and inspections.
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 7:00-3:30pm
- Maintain the daily grounds maintenance operations for the district.
- Oversee the high production mowing of approximately 330 acres of land.
- Plan, coordinates and implements the horticultural program for turf, ornamentals and landscaped beds.
- Plan, develops and coordinates maintenance schedules, landscape improvements and renovations.
- Oversee hiring, staff schedules, daily direction and evaluations for assigned staff.
- Plans and oversees budget.
- Oversee the seasonal preparations of sports field’s district wide including seasonal irrigation start up and shut down.
- Oversee staff in charge of daily maintenance operations of Mountain View Mine including course preparations, custodial cleaning and pond maintenance.
- Coordinate the design of all planting beds.
- Coordinate with the Recreation Department by overseeing the daily requirements for sports field use.
- Operate trade specific equipment such as; skid steer, boom lift, back hoe, z-turn mower, and snow plow.
- Diagnose/identify plant problems and recommends and implements remedies.
- Regularly coordinates maintenance activities with other supervisors.
- Manage urban forest thru oversight of removals, plantings, pruning and tree inventory management.
- Establish standards and procedures for operations.
- Complete purchasing of supplies and equipment.
- Winter Operations including snow and ice removal and ice rink establishment and maintenance.
- Make recommendations and prepares specifications for capital and other improvements as assigned.
- Attend training sessions for professional development.
- Inform all staff of any changes in policy, procedures or rules handed down by supervisors.
- Manage the tree of life program.
- Wildlife management throughout parks as assigned.
- Supervise storage of landscape related chemicals.
- Assist patrons with providing information as requested.
- Follow all safety policies and procedures as outlined in the Park District Safety and Crisis Manuals.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Member of Park District committee(s) as assigned.
Education: Associates degree or certification program requiring two years of Horticulture or Landscape Architecture studies.
Experience: Three years to five years related experience with supervisory experience included.
In addition to one or both of the above, candidates must have demonstrated competencies within multiple trade disciplines; landscape design, equipment operation, landscaping, golf course maintenance, forestry, ornamental/tree plantings, natural resource management techniques. Must be able to read and understand blueprints/ construction drawings. Basic computer skills: Outlook, Word and Excel.
Certifications: Pesticide Applicator License: Possess at least one of the following with the ability to obtain the remaining licenses within 12 months of employment: Turf Grass, Ornamentals, Aquatics;
CPR and First Aid Certified-classes available through Park District; Valid Illinois Driver’s License
PERKS & BENEFITS: FULL TIME STAFF
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Life insurance (basic & voluntary additional coverage)
- IMRF Defined Benefit Pension
- 457 Defined Contribution Plan
- Paid Time Off (sick, vacation, and personal)
- Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account with Employer Contribution (for applicable HDHP)
- Park District Facility & Program Discounts
**To apply, please visit dpparks.org/jobs**