Salary Range: $33.44-$46.82/hour
*Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications, but in most cases is no higher than the midpoint for the range.
NATURE OF WORK:
Under the direction of the Conservation and Outdoor Division Manager, this position will be primarily responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of comprehensive environmental/outdoor recreation programs for the citizens of Evanston. Programs could include, but are not limited to, summer camp, activities, seminars, field trips, special events and facility rentals. The Program Coordinator may act as the supervisor on duty in the absence of the Division Manager. The position is also responsible for supervising employees, contracted vendors and volunteers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Specific assignment will include some or all of the following)
● Develops, implements, supervises, coordinates and evaluates programs, special events, drop in programs, family activities and a variety of workshops and seminars related to environmental education and recreation. Classes are located at the Ecology Center sites as well as at the various sites throughout the City.
● Prepares and creates displays and exhibits.
● Recruits, interviews and recommends part-time employees, seasonal employees and contracted vendors for center programs.
● Assists with conducting community outreach to local organizations, schools and affiliate organizations.
● Ensures programs and services are well organized, meet their objective and are safe for all participants.
● Prepares a variety of written program material, reports, and correspondence, maintains files as required in addition to the preparation of financial records such as including budget recommendations, revenue and expense reports, and the preparation of invoices for payments
● Consults with other Program Coordinators and the Division Manager regularly regarding center activities and programs.
● Manages volunteers for ecology program offerings and special events.
● Answers questions from 311, customer phone calls, emails, as well as in-person questions, comments, and concerns.
● Assists the Division Manager with developing, executing, implementing, and adhering to the annual program budget, and strategic and operational plan for the department/center.
● Works to develop collaborative partnerships with organizations in the public, non-profit organizations such as the Evanston Environmental Association, Citizen’s Greener Evanston, Evanston Garden Clubs, etc.
● Collaborates with Community Services division staff in the development and continued improvements and modifications of all program offerings at the Ecology Center.
● Trains, supervises and evaluates employees and volunteer staff in the programs under his/her direction, including assigning specific tasks and works hours accordingly.
● Enforces rules pertaining to the overall health and safety of the participants.
● Reports any unsafe conditions to the Division Manager or submits work order requests to the City’s 311 system.
● Attends training(s) and conferences to enhance personal development and gain more knowledge.
● Attends department and other meetings as required.
● Purchases program supplies on an as needed basis and within budget.
● Ensures that all employees and volunteers under his/her direction are practicing excellent customer service, and that all policies and procedures are properly implemented.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
● Bachelor’s degree preferred from an accredited college or university in Recreation, Education, Leisure Studies or a substantially similar area or three (3) years or more of programming experience in a parks and recreation program.
● Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
● Must possess current First Aid/CPR certifications or obtain them within the first six (6) months.
● Certification as a Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) is preferred.
● Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
● Ability to deal positively and effectively with the general public and other staff and individual agencies or persons.
● Strong customer service and teamwork orientation.
● Ability to deliver strong presentations and programs to different audiences and user groups.
● Considerable knowledge of and ability to use Internet search engines, word processing software, email, registration software (RecTrac), and Windows operating systems.
● Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions provided in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
● Ability to prepare work assignments, research issues summaries, letters and memorandum and reports using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, dictation and style.
● Ability to give verbal direction to subordinates, communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
Performance is reviewed through observation, completion of projects, reports and meetings. Guidance is provided through the City Code, departmental policies, City operating practices and procedures, and other resources as applicable to the specific project assigned. Work is evaluated annually with respect to programming initiatives, problem-solving ability, customer service, research and analytical skill, written and verbal communication skills, and performance in accordance with this classification standard.
The Program Coordinator has regular contact with the public, other departmental employee and supervisors.
| SELECTION METHOD | TYPE OF ELIGIBILITY LIST | LIFE OF ELIGIBILITY LIST
| | |
| Structured Oral Interview | |
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at 847-448-8204 (voice) or 847-866-5095 (TTY)