At JCC Chicago, we are focused on growing good kids, building communities, and educating ourselves on the past to make a difference for the future. The largest JCC in North America, JCC Chicago offers a life-affirming journey that builds on the richness and power of Jewish values and continues to reimagine them for a more connected, inspired community.
JCC Chicago's Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the growth and development of the Aquatics program at the Bernard Weinger JCC and agency wide, taking a leading role in staff training and customer service and maintaining a high level of knowledge in all areas of aquatics including the American Red Cross Training Program.
JCC Chicago is an equal opportunity agency that offers programs for all ages and abilities. Our goal is to foster relationships, build our community, and create connections that will enable our work to reach a broader audience for greater impact. We welcome you to join us in building your career, as we build a stronger community.
Key areas of responsibility:
Program Supervision & Facilitation
- Hire, train and supervise aquatics staff needed to run all JCC aquatics programs, including Early Childhood, camp and rentals.
- Work with Manager, Bernard Weinger JCC to ensure proper implementation of and staff training on the American Red Cross (ARC) program for year-round and summer staff.
- Approve bi-weekly payroll per agency guidelines using time keeping system; audit and ensure accurate payroll for all aquatics staff.
- Complete swim instruction assessments, provide coaching and feedback to site aquatics staff.
- Complete monthly schedule for staff, incorporating changes for sick and/or vacation time as well as additional last minute staffing changes; conduct quarterly in-service meetings with staff reviewing department goals, program updates, agency news.
- Facilitate quality early childhood, AIS (All in Swim) programming, private and group swim instruction, and summer camp swim lessons using the ARC method; be present on the pool deck or in the water, with appropriate swim attire during all camp and Early Childhood swim instruction.
- Serve as lifeguard on pool deck.
- Work with supervisor to create and facilitate an effective on-boarding plan for new staff and consistent in-service training programs.
- With supervisor, collaborate with program colleagues across the agency to plan and implement programming that builds community, fosters good sportsmanship, and provides a natural connection to the agency.
- Maintain fully stocked first responder “go bags” throughout the facility with first aid equipment.
- Partner with Manager, Bernard Weinger to identify facility needs, repairs and regular maintenance as well as annual closure repair and improvements.
- Generate, integrate, and evaluate new program ideas with Manager, Bernard Weinger.
- Attend continuing education programs, staying abreast on current trends; maintain American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguard, Lifeguard Instructor and Swim Instructor certifications.
- Manage ongoing administrative work (phone calls, state health reports, ARC reports, setting up ARC classes, etc.). Train additional staff to perform pool chemical testing to maintain state standards.
- Utilize agency channels of communications and operating systems to connect with staff regarding program updates, changes, or important department information.
- Participate and help facilitate at least two Agency wide family programs/events annually.
- Maintain personal contact with families and program participants, soliciting feedback and developing relationships.
- Ensure customers know the avenues available to them to provide customer feedback; proactively communicate with to customers to solicit their feedback.
- Actively pursue an understanding of all JCC programs to provide the seamless stewardship of families through Agency offerings.
- Remain knowledgeable in pool scheduling system software (Upace) and My J app reservation systems. Assist members and staff as needed.
Key Essential Job Duties/Physical Duties:
- Ability to lift/move children up to 40 lbs.
- Physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day (up to 4 hours/day in pool).
- Must also be able to hold and/or support children in chest deep water.
- Ability to lift children and adults out of the pool in an emergency.
- Ability to move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children in and out of the swimming pool.
- Ability to react with physical and mental alertness in emergency situations (jump into the pool to rescue anyone that need assistance; small child(ren) to adults weighing more than 200 pounds using proper rescue equipment).
- Must be able to rotate head side to side to scan the pool while lifeguarding and be physically and mentally alert in emergency situations including rotating head to side to side.
- Ability to use of hands and arms for grasping, pulling, pushing and sliding aquatic chairs, pool stairs and PVC benches both in and out of the water.
- Ability to demonstrate, motivate and communicate a swim skill in the water and swim 50 yards.
- Ability to use a loud voice during swim lessons and supervise children and adults around and in the pool by sight and sound.
- Ability to set up and take down the pool each day (includes putting in/ removing stairs into the pool, placing lane lines in the pool by bending down and wrenching them in).
Some college coursework preferred; American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED certifications required; WSI and LGI certification (or desire to obtain these) preferred.
- Minimum two years experience teaching Learn to Swim classes and life guarding.
- Desire and ability to become highly proficient in the ARC program a must.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate outstanding customer service, problem solving and communication skills; demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel with the ability to learn other programs as needed.
- Willingness to travel to and assist at various JCC sites a must.