JOB TITLE: Recreation Services Manager - Special Events & Fine Arts Programs (FLSA Exempt)
SUPERVISOR: Superintendent of Recreation Programs & Facilities
The Recreation Services Manager is responsible for organizing, creating, budgeting, promoting and implementing a variety of community-wide special events, youth dance and enrichment programs and birthday parties as designated by the Superintendent of Recreation Programs & Facilities. The Manager is under the direct supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation Programs & Facilities but is granted opportunities for independent supervision over part-time staff and volunteers in related areas of responsibility.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Graduate of a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education with a Bachelor’s Degree in recreation, or closely related field; minimum 3 years full-time related experience required in recreation program management; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge, creativity and skill in programming and managing community-wide special events as well as partner with other lead staff, part-time staff, and volunteers in the planning, execution and supervision of shared large-scale events.
• Working knowledge of principles, practices, and objectives of preschool, youth and adult programming and management, and community recreation.
• Must possess the ability to hire, organize, direct and lead the work of subordinate employees for program responsibilities.
• Must have good oral and written communication skills; ability to work with minimal supervision, to solve problems and produce work on a timely basis.
• Demonstrated initiative, dependability, professionalism, resourcefulness, and management skills with the ability to work in a positive manner with the general public, Park District staff and Board of Commissioners.
• Must able to read, write and speak in English. Bi-lingual a plus.
• CPR/AED certification.
• Valid Illinois driver’s license required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Organizes, implements and evaluates a comprehensive selection of events and programs designed to meet the needs of the community.
• Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, terminates, schedules and evaluates all staff for programs, volunteers, and instructors.
• Orders and distributes program supplies to instructors as needed.
• Maintains appropriate inventory and supply for all programs in area.
• Prepares annual budget projections and monitors revenue and expenses in areas of responsibility.
• Prepares monthly board reports, bi-weekly payroll, program evaluations, annual reports, and any special reports requested by the Superintendent of Recreation Programs and Facilities.
• Prepares seasonal program guide information and creates publicity materials in cooperation with the marketing personnel.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of existing programs and submits recommendations for program development, changes and pricing structure to the Superintendent of Recreation Programs and Facilities.
• Maintains required records of programs, fees and participation statistics as required.
• Works cooperatively with Risk Management Conducts required training and safety programs as established and recognized by the Wheeling Park District.
• Utilizes district’s computer software and systems applicable to area.
• Researches current trends and develops new programs in response to the community’s needs and desires.
• Communicates maintenance issues repairs and coordinates room setup as well as school, park, and gym scheduling as needed for programs and activities with the appropriate staff.
• Develops and maintains cooperative relationships with affiliated groups and community organizations.
• Ensures goals are being met within area of responsibility as well as being a productive team member to achieve division and department goals.
• Supports and exhibits the organizational values of respect, communication, integrity, innovation, recognition and appreciation, continuous learning, fun, empowerment and people.
• Must support and demonstrate organizational values and quality standards of the Wheeling Park District.
• Attends professional conferences and workshops to promote knowledge in related areas of responsibility.
• Attends all meetings when appropriate. Maintains a clean and organized work environment. Coordinate assistance as needed from Parks for programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned from Supervisor such as special projects or tasks.
The employee shall be considered to be on duty whenever a need exists for their services. This will require non-traditional work hours that will vary depending on the season and workload.
RATE OF PAY:
We offer a competitive starting salary of $48,000 - $55,000 based on qualifications and experience.
In exchange for your time and talent, we offer a generous benefits package including: Medical Insurance: Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO, or PPO, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Pension/Benefit Plan (IMRF), and more.