Under the supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation, the Marketing and Communications Specialist oversees all communications for the District, including public relations, media relations, publicity and sponsorships. The position is responsible for writing, editing and managing the production of digital and print materials to effectively support the District’s mission and convey its message to residents. The position partners with employees throughout the District to achieve communication goals and ensure a consistent brand identity across platforms. This is a full-time position with a normal work week of minimum of 40 hours. Position expected to work nights and weekends on occasion.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 3 years of marketing and public relations experience in a related position with a recreation, sports, fitness, government or nonprofit organization. Familiar with or able to quickly understand the park district and recreation industries.
Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field.
• Demonstrated knowledge of social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, YouTube) and social media scheduling software (e.g., Hootsuite).
• Demonstrated knowledge using email marketing (e.g. Constant Contact), online forms and survey (e.g. Google Forms, Survey Monkey) platforms, and Google Analytics.
• A high level of desktop publishing, graphic design and print production knowledge highly preferred.
• Must be competent in the latest versions of InDesign and graphic design programs, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva, etc. • Familiarity with basic HTML and proficiency in WordPress and/or current web content management systems.
• Thorough knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office including a strong use of Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
• Must have or quickly possess a basic understanding of District’s registration software (RecTrac 3.1) for gathering marketing data for the use in promoting registration or in production of the District’s seasonal brochure.
• Experience using a digital camera and manipulating files for use in various formats.
• Candidate must also possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The Marketing & Communications Specialist is a solutions-focused problem solver who works well independently and in a team environment.
• This position must possess a thorough understanding of marketing and advertising principles as they apply to major programming areas including preschool, dance, special events, athletics, general park district programs and parks and recreational trends.
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work assignments. Ability to exercise considerable initiative, ingenuity and independent judgement in the performance of work assignments.
• A high level of accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
• Ability to stay abreast of the latest marketing trends and tactics especially as they relate to major program areas.
Essential Functions of the Job
1. Design print and digital marketing materials, including quarterly magazine, brochures, posters, flyers, event invitations, emails, signs, advertisements, press releases, website content and social media posts.
2. Administer internal and external communications, ensuring timely, accurate and engaging information about District programs and services is shared with the community.
3. Generate positive publicity for the District by building relationships with local organizations and individuals, writing stories that showcase projects and programs, and finding creative ways to highlight the organization’s value to the community.
4. Coordinate responses to public comments and questions.
5. Manage social media plans, create engaging social media campaigns, and leverage social media to connect with the community.
6. Responsible for creating and managing content for all District social media accounts, websites, and online business listings (e.g. Google MyBusiness, Yelp).
7. Familiar with the scope of service provided by parks and recreation services organization.
8. Ensures that marketing materials are targeted to the right consumer, with the right message at the right time. Individual should actively apply advertising, communication, marketing and public relations strategies and tactics to current efforts, adapt efforts and generate new efforts for the benefit of the Park District.
9. Leads the planning, management and organization of website content. Create, coordinates, integrates and uploads files, photographs, images, video content, information, and other content using WordPress.
10. Attend programs, special events and other Park District happenings to capture photography as needed for marketing purposes. Coordinates and maintains file libraries for marketing files and all district photography.
11. Oversee the Sponsorship Program and negotiate agreements and partnerships. 12. Understand the demographics of the community and work with staff to increase community engagement. 13. Establish relationships with service organizations and government entities within Grayslake and Lake County.
Marginal Functions 1. Identifies and attends approved trainings and seminars to advance skills and stay updated on marketing trends. 2. Serve on internal committees as assigned. 3. Assist the Executive Director and Superintendent of Recreation with administrative duties, as needed. 4. All duties as assigned.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Certification in First Aid, CPR & AED. Must hold a valid driver’s license
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to: Shelly Regnier, firstname.lastname@example.org The Grayslake Community Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Contact Information: Shelly Regnier 847-223-7529 email@example.com
Closing Date: Until Filled