Job Title: Aquatics Manager / Assistant Manager of Facilities
Division: Recreation Department Classification: Full-Time
Job Function: Under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation, the Aquatics Manager / Assistant Manager of Facilities is responsible for Management of DragonLand Water Park during the summer season and acts as Assistant Manager for Veterans Memorial Arena ice rink facility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Schedules, supervises and evaluates all DragonLand staff in a manner that insures proper management of facility programs, concessions, cashier operations, and facility maintenance procedures.
• Develops and implements new ideas and techniques pertaining to the proper management of DragonLand’s operations.
• Responsible for the daily supervision of all Veterans Memorial Arena part-time staff job performance in facility programs, daily routine building maintenance, concession operations, facility admissions, daily ice maintenance, public skate sessions, and skate rentals during the fall and winter months. Suggests new ideas and techniques for improvement of these operations.
• Recruit, hire, certify, train, supervise, and evaluate all lifeguard staff.
• Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate concessions staff, cashiers, skate guards, and other support staff with the concurrence of the Superintendent of Recreation.
• Plan and implement assigned Recreation Department programs in various areas including a comprehensive swim lesson program and various ice rink programming.
• Promote interest in assigned facilities and programs through publicity and marketing utilizing program brochures, flyers, and other communication tools.
• Fluent use of various social media outlets and other interactive media for marketing and interaction with participants and general public relations.
• Ability to understand and work within multiple operating budgets and assist the Superintendent of Recreation in drafting assigned facility and programming operating budgets.
• Work closely with the Superintendent of Recreation, as well as other Recreation Department Program Managers to develop and implement recreation programming and special events.
• Coordination with appropriate department heads on physical arrangements and logistics necessary for programs and special events conducted at park facilities and grounds through work order preparation, as approved by Superintendent of Recreation.
• Complete and thorough evaluation process of all assigned programs and supervised staff.
• Communicate professionally and effectively with staff, volunteers, participants, parents, and community.
• Maintain and promote a positive professional image with the community.
• Monitor all facility and program inventory, supplies, equipment, and services in accordance with the park district purchasing policy.
• Supervise assigned facilities, recreation programs, activities and events, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as required.
• Perform other related duties that may be assigned.
Qualifications: Education and/or Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Sport Management, or closely related field. Although a degree is preferred, extensive experience in a like position with similar duties and responsibilities may be substituted for all or part of the education requirement.
• Two – four years supervisory experience in the field of Recreation Administration, Sport Management or related field preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Special Licenses or Certificates:
• Certified Pool Operator (CPO) or Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
• Previous lifeguarding experience while licensed by any industry standard certifying entity preferred.
• Ellis and Associates International Lifeguard Training Program Certified Lifeguard Instructor or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
• Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or ability to obtain desired but not required.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification in accordance to the Illinois Food Service Sanitation Code or ability to obtain.
• Experience in managing facility and program budgets preferred.
• Work independently and as a team member as assigned.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel, other agencies, and the public.
• Ability to see and assimilate information from varied sources and make decisions consistent with the goals, values, and vision of the Pekin Park District.
• Understand and exhibit behavior consistent with stated values of Pekin Park District.
• Ability to coordinate, analyze, and utilize a variety of reports and records.
• Ability to learn new skills and knowledge.
• Demonstrate decision making, conflict resolution, negotiation, and organizational skills.
• Demonstrate management and supervisory skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally, in writing and through presentations.
• Knowledge of Word, Excel, social media and on-line recreation software applications for program registration, facility rental and scheduling.
The Pekin Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities of the job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position.
Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job related duties or tasks as requested by management.
Applicants for this position must submit a personal resume with cover letter to: Shawn Powers, Superintendent of Recreation, Pekin Park District, 1701 Court Street, Pekin, IL 61554-5199, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org For additional information and/or questions, please contact Shawn Powers by e-mail or call 309-353-4319.