Department: Recreation Position Title: Marketing & Special Events Coordinator Location: 33325 N. Sears Boulevard Wildwood, IL 60030 Reporting Authority: Park District Manager FLSA Status: FLSA Non-Exempt Classification: Part-Time Rate of Pay: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour DOQ Hours: 20-25 hours per/week year-round not to exceed 1000 hours
The Wildwood Park District is looking for a dedicated professional experienced in graphic design, public relations, marketing and sponsorship procurement, social media management, and special event execution to take on the role of the Part-Time Marketing & Special Events Coordinator!
Summary: The Marketing & Special Events Coordinator is responsible for the creation and coordination of external written and digital Park District communications and marketing efforts. Specifically, this position is responsible for the development and implementation of the marketing initiatives related to promotion of the Wildwood Park District and engagement of the general public as defined by the Park District Manager. This position maintains the Wildwood Park District website, Social Media such as Facebook, Survey Monkey survey software, and develops business and sponsorship relationships with local establishments and community organizations. The position also calls for the execution and assistance with the marketing and public outreach efforts at special events, and assistance with preparation, organization, and execution of such events. Other duties with recreation programming as needed.
Education: A Bachelor’s or Associates Degree in Marketing, Graphic Design, Communications, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience, is required.
Experience: Minimum of 1-3 years of relevant experience or equivalent required.
Required Certifications and Skills:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. • Knowledge and experience with Adobe Creative Suite Graphic Design Software such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat PDF, etc. • Skilled in photo and video editing. • Strong computer background and proficiency required with Apple MacBook products, Microsoft Office Apps (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel). • Strong background in all Social Media platforms. • Knowledge and experience with website content management software, making updates and adding graphic images and videos to site. • Evidence of successful event, sponsorship, marketing, and website programs required. • Portfolio selections of sample print and digital design work required. • Have experience in a recreation or similar setting working with and/or planning and evaluating special events. • Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, and special events as the schedule demands. • CPR and First Aid certifications required within six months. • Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. • Must successfully pass a background check. • Must successfully pass driver’s abstract and drug/physical screening if driving District vehicles. • Must be able to read and write and have strong command of the English language. • Must be able to perform basic mathematics. • Must have basic proficiency of Microsoft Excel and Word. • Must possess professional phone skills and work well with the public. • Must present a neat and professional appearance.
• Help create, implement, and evaluate district-wide special events.
• Assist in set-up and take-down of equipment for district events as needed.
• Deliver regular content to social media accounts via Facebook, Instagram, NextDoor, Twitter, etc.
• Develop and maintain MailChimp email lists for purposes of digital and printed communications (newsletters), event invites and membership outreach in conjunction with district Guest Services Representative staff.
• Coordinate event logistics, collateral material and must be able to design event flyers using Adobe Creative Suite Design software, implement print production and distribution as well.
• Coordinate with recreation areas to populate local community calendars with Park District events and programs.
• Advertise and market all offerings including brochure development, school flyers, community signs, press releases and all social media.
• Assist in developing annual budgets for marketing/promotions area. Monitor budget income and expenditures and report to Park District Manager and District Accountant when asked. Complete seasonal reports as needed.
• Assist Guest Service Representative Staff in creating and disseminating monthly email newsletters.
• Cultivate and expand opportunities for event sponsorship and advertising in local TV, radio, and print media outlets.
• Cultivate and expand opportunities for business sponsorships through brochure ads and other mediums. Create lasting partnerships with local business community.
• Identify newsworthy events and coordinate media relations throughout the District. Includes: writing and/or coordinating press releases, flyers, posters, banners, email blasts, legal notices, etc.
• Build relationships with local media.
• Take photos and videos of Park District programs and events.
• Supervise and coordinate with event contractors, event user groups, and other Park District Recreation areas to assist with coordination and recommendations for their area special events.
• Assist design of Park District seasonal brochures, oversee recreation content area for accuracy and produce seasonal brochures for distribution to community, School Districts, Park District Facilities, and electronically on website and social media.
• Regular maintenance of Wildwood Park District website. Work with Guest Service Representatives to make sure all content stays current and special events and program opportunities are being promoted online. Assist Park District Manager in transferring website to new platforms if necessary.
• Maintain and broaden social networking to benefit the organization.
• Assist Park District Manager in adherence to District-wide Marketing & Promotions Master Plan and Marketing Standards. Develop graphic standards and consistency of all marketing materials.
• Complete monthly Marketing and Communications reports for Board Meetings. This includes tracking and reporting of media postings of Park District activities and events as well as an overview of Park District Marketing initiatives and campaigns.
• Respond to complaints and questions related to recreation/public relations operations. • Order and maintain necessary promotional district supplies and equipment. • Attend all meetings as required by the Board.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Park District is a drug free and smoke free work environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly indoors however there is exposure to outside weather conditions including working in direct sunlight, working in extreme temperatures and rain.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
For More Information:
Please send resumes, examples of field or classroom work, and a cover letter to Park District Manager Brandon Magnini at firstname.lastname@example.org along with a completed application.
To visit our website employment page and download an application and the full job description, please visit: www.wildwoodparkdistrict.com under “About Us” and “Jobs”.
Please direct any other questions to email@example.com or call us at (847) 223-7275.
The Wildwood Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Board will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.