The Northbrook Park District is a leader both regionally and nationally in parks and recreation. We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced professional to serve on the District’s Senior Leadership Team as the Director of Administration and Finance. With a budget of over $24 million, the Director of Administration and Finance responsibilities include strategic leadership and managerial oversight of operations for the Finance, Human Resources and Information Technology Teams. This includes policy and goal setting, directing budgeting process, as well as short- and long-term fiscal planning. The Director will have regular interaction with Board of Commissioners, external auditors, internal senior leadership.
• Provide strategic leadership and managerial oversight for all aspects of current operations and future projects and initiatives of the Administration & Finance Division.
• Ensure all initiatives align with the strategic Mission and Vision of the Northbrook Park District; ensure the most efficient and effective use of resources and staff to best provide outstanding services to the community.
• Perform short and long-term Division planning to align with District goals; review and evaluate plans; develop and implement initiatives to support plans.
• Partner with Senior Leadership on District-wide projects to ensure alignment across divisions and District goals.
• Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the work performance of staff.
• Evaluate departmental operation; develop and implement measures to correct administrative problems and improve programs and services.
• Provide input into the development of District policies and procedures as they relate to Division programs, services, and operations.
• Direct the District-wide annual budgeting process including developing budget timelines, coordinating Divisional reviews; present proposed budget to the Park District Board.
• Ensure compliance with all legal requirements associated with the budget approval process, including publishing public notices, preparing and presenting the Budget and Appropriation Ordinance to the Park Board, and filing all required legal documents with Cook County.
• Perform long range financial planning relating to the operation and expansion of facilities; develop financial planning required for the implementation of the multi-year capital program; provide financial input to the development and implementation of projects requiring issuance of bonds.
• Prepare annual tax levy extension and all required documentation (resolutions, ordinances) for board approval. Responsible for timely filing of all required tax levy documentation with Cook County.
• Act in lead role in debt management and bond issuance to ensure the most efficient use of the District’s debt capacity and borrowed monies.
• Serve as board treasurer as appointed by Park Board.
• Work with external auditors during annual financial audit. Responsible for preparing annual Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), and all other financial narratives included within the District’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
• Develop and maintain all financial policies of the District.
• Support District directors and managers with ongoing analysis of financial performance for recreation programs, park operations and golf operations.
• Serve as a liaison or representative of District with community organizations, local government or associations as needed.
• Make or advise on necessary purchases of supplies for Division needs; prepare and submit check requests for invoices and reconcile p-card transactions according to the District’s Purchasing Policy.
• Attend all Park District Board and Committee meetings as required; respond to Board inquiries, in coordination with the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or business. Masters of Business Administration or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) both strongly preferred. Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in public/governmental sector accounting with progressive supervisory experience.
Position offers a full benefits package:
Medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage; Life insurance; Pension - enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF); 457 Deferred Compensation Plan; Flexible Spending; Paid holidays, vacation and sick time
To apply, visit nbparks.org/jobs and submit an application, including cover letter and resume. Desired hire date is March 1, 2022.