We are seeking a full-time Landscape Maintenance Worker II to perform skilled maintenance work in the care and upkeep of the Park District’s outdoor landscape and athletic facilities. Responsibilities include performing routine landscape and athletic field maintenance work.
40 hours per week with the ability to work overtime as needed. 7am - 3pm, Sunday - Thursday shift from April to November. Monday - Friday shift from end of November through March. Winter Only with freezing temperatures: Outdoor ice making schedule is a weather dependent rotation between landscape crew members (generally once week a month with overnight schedule Monday - Friday 11pm - 7am).
Position offers a full benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays off, and enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform routine landscape maintenance work.
• Prep ballfields for play on Sunday mornings during in-season (April through mid-November).
• Operate a variety of equipment including backhoes, tractors and attachments, and all trucks and power tools used in landscape projects such as grading for sod, building berms, planting and removing trees and digging trenches for pipes and wires.
• Operate a grader, backhoe, end loader, dump truck and related equipment in a variety of parking lot and pathways maintenance activities.
• Perform ground maintenance activities such as raking, weeding, mowing, pruning, planting, cultivating and watering grass, trees, flowers and shrubs.
• Perform athletic fields maintenance activities to maintain and prepare playing fields such as dragging, grading, lining and setting up fences and goal posts.
• Inspect facilities and grounds for safety and take corrective action.
• Supervise the work of seasonal staff and train seasonal staff in proper maintenance and equipment procedures.
• Perform snow removal including plowing, snow blowing, shoveling and salting of walkways and parking lots; operate snowplows, trucks and other equipment for the removal of snow and salting of Park District roads, parking lots and walkways.
• Provide support for special events; assist with the set up and take down of events.
• Collaborate with internal and external customers in a positive manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Four years of high school, including two (2) years’ experience in general grounds maintenance, nursery work, or a related field.
• Operation and care of tractors, skid-steer, truck and trailer combination and other equipment used in construction and landscape maintenance.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; follow oral and written instructions.
• Prepare required records, reports and to fill out paperwork properly.
• Work independently, productively and efficiently.
• Become CPR and AED certified.
• Valid Public Pesticide Operator’s License in the appropriate category, or ability to obtain.
• Illinois Operators Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), or the ability to obtain one within six months upon request.
• Knowledge of the tools, materials, methods and procedures used in horticulture and landscape maintenance.
• Ability to identify Midwest plants including trees, shrubs, grasses, flowers, and weeds.
• Familiarity with irrigation system repairs.
• Knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in the maintenance of trees, shrubs, turf grass and flowers.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Required to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb, smell, talk and hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various tools and equipment. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Uses material handling equipment or staff assistance when lifting and or moving objects 50 pounds or greater.
Work is performed in mostly in an outdoor setting. Work may be performed indoors. Work may be performed with exposure to warm and/or cool temperatures and/or icy conditions for short or long periods of time. Works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration.
APPLY online nbparks.org/jobs