Wheeling Park District, incorporated in 1961, is located in northern Cook and southern Lake Counties, and is 27 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The Park District serves a population of 42,828 residents living within the Village of Wheeling, and small portions of Prospect Heights, Buffalo Grove, and Arlington Heights. It encompasses an area of just over 8.5 square miles. The Park District is considered to be a primary government – providing a full range of recreation activities, public open space, recreational facilities, a full-service country club, and districtwide events for its communities.
Services provided include recreation programs, park management, capital development, and general administration. The Park District manages 21 sites on approximately 350 acres. Recreational facilities operated by the Park District include one undeveloped natural area, twelve parks, one sports complex, one outdoor aquatic center, one community recreation center, one indoor pool, a health and fitness center, a historical museum, two community gymnasiums (shared with Community Consolidated School District 21), a championship-quality 18 golf course and banquet facility, and driving range, as well as a number of softball/baseball fields, football and soccer fields, pickleball courts, playgrounds, and picnic shelters. Job Title:
Payroll and Human Resources Generalist Job Status:
Full Time – Non-ExemptDivision:
Administrative ServicesPosition Summary
The Payroll and Human Resources Generalist is under the direction of the Human Resources Manager. Responsibilities include tasks directly related to recruiting, hiring and on-boarding of staff, benefits administration, management of the district’s Payroll and HRIS system and other HR related programs. Work is performed in accordance with a prescribed program and established procedures with some opportunity for the exercise of independent judgment. Essential Job Duties
• Inputs and maintains employee information in the computer system (payroll and Time and Attendance systems). Maintains pay rates, leave, tax allowances, and deductions.
• Prepares data requested by PDRMA for Workers Compensation Audit.
• Coordinates onboarding and orientation of newly hired staff.
• Prepares and processes bi-weekly payroll; including verification of time/rates in attendance system, base pay, manual entries, printing of payroll and deduction checks, processing of direct deposit, printing and filing of reports. Reconcile annual W2s.
• Process monthly IMRF filing.
• Process monthly/annual leave accruals.
• Process bi-weekly Mission Square reports.
• Oversees monthly/quarterly IDES wage New Hire reports monthly.
• Maintains leave balances for first year for new full-time employees. Monitor leave balances for forfeitures. Provide leave balance reports to department heads monthly.
• Attends applicable recruitment events and opportunities
• Schedules interviews during recruitment process.
• Assists in advertising job openings on appropriate job boards and maintaining the WPD job boards.
• Maintains supervisor user lists in the HRIS system.
• Answers inquiries from employees and applicants.
• Maintains accurate and up to date payroll procedures.
• Accurately processes the new hire information/background checks/drug screenings/drivers license abstracts. Enters all new hires in E-Verify, employment verification program, notifying HR of any discrepancies.
• Files all appropriate paper work.
• Assists in preparation of reports and special reports as assigned.
• Performs the job safely and in compliance with Park District policies, procedures, work and safety rules.
• Performs special projects or other duties as assigned.
• Attends all meetings when appropriate.
• Supports and exhibits the organizational values of respect, communication, integrity, innovation, recognition and appreciation, continuous learning, fun, empowerment and people.
• Must support and demonstrate organizational values and quality standards of the Wheeling Park District.
• Analyzes, prepares and inputs payroll data. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal wage hour laws.
• Provide reports as needed to upper management.
• Continues education on new payroll-related issues, laws and procedures.
• Skillfully uses the computer, printer, calculator, and fax machine.
• Performs work permit and I-9 audits.
• Enrolls and terminates all part-time IMRF employees from IMRF system.
• Handles all telephone and written inquiries concerning part-time employment verification.
• Prepares and distributes information to staff concerning changes in payroll laws, requirements, and procedure.
• Trains and familiarizes all supervisory staff with payroll procedures in Paycom.
• Perform a detail review of payroll and timecards for accuracy and assist supervisors with correcting errors and ensuring that payroll is processed within Personnel Policies and applicable laws and regulations.
• Set up all new and rehires in Paycom including wage rates, job codes, time recording, etc.
• Maintain Payroll systems including all pay rules, wage rates, accruals, job codes, and troubleshooting with Paycom to solve any software issues.
• Serve as the main point of contact for employees and supervisors regarding all payroll questions, including support and training of new supervisors and employees on payroll software and procedures.
• Provide employee verification of current and past employees.
• Conduct audits of payroll systems to ensure automatic pay rules are working as intended and within personnel policies.
• Maintain, review, and audit monthly accruals in Paycom.
• Assist Human Resources in a variety of tasks to include: maintenance of new hire folders, form revision/development, tracking training, copying and distribution of communications.
• Performs typing functions for the division.
• Assists District in annual audit.
• Assists general public and vendors with inquiries.
• Completes tasks in a timely as well as precise manner.
• Work to find ways to improve office procedures and efficiency.Position Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in human resources, business management, or related field and three years of human resources generalist experience, which includes responsibility for maintaining electronic record keeping systems, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience and knowledge in payroll and HRIS system preferred. Must have excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software. Must possess a thorough working knowledge of Federal and State laws pertaining to payroll.Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrate consistent attendance and on-time arrival.
• A valid Illinois driver’s license is required.
• Must be able to read, write and speak in English.
• CPR/AED Instructor certification preferred.Physical Requirements
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb stairs, twist, talk and hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tool, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
• Occasionally required to walk on uneven grounds.
• Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
• Specific vision abilities are required and include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
• May occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.Working Conditions
• Most activities will be performed indoors.
• Driving to other park facilities will require the worker to be outside.
• Employee may be exposed to cleaning agents and toner chemicals. Rate of Pay:
$25.00/hr -$27.00/hr DOQ (dependent on qualifications)Benefits:
In exchange for your time and talent, we offer a generous benefits package including:
Medical Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO, or PPO)
Pension/Benefit Plan (IMRF)
Deferred Compensation Plans
Flexible Spending Accounts (Section 125)
Eight (8) Paid Federal Holidays
Four (4) Floating Holidays
Twelve (12) Paid Sick Days
Incentivized Wellness Plan
Health & Fitness Membership
Outdoor Pool Membership
Program and Facility Discounts
Apply Today - Please include Cover Letter and Resumehttps://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=88425&clientkey=07DEE904B0CEFE8BFD185D4FE939BC5F
The Wheeling Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and participates in E-Verify.