Superintendent of Parks
Full Time – Downers Grove Park District
Salary: Starting $80,000 annually
About Us: The Downers Grove Park District offers quality parks, facilities and programs for people of all ages to enjoy and explore. Home to 48 parks, a recreation center, history museum, nature center, golf course, community center and more, there is something for everyone at the Downers Grove Park District! Learn more at dgparks.org.
The Opportunity: We have an opening for a Superintendent of Parks in the Parks and Facilities department. This individual would be responsible for planning and administering a comprehensive program for the care and upkeep of all District parks and outdoor facilities through effective planning, organizing, and supervising team members while effectively coordinating with internal and external departments, patrons, and contractors.
What you get: The District offers health, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund); retirement savings plan; employee assistance; free/discounted recreation programs for employee and household family members; and a free fitness membership to 4500 Fitness.
When you’ll work: Full-Time; 40 hours per week + on-call weekend rotation.
A Day in the Life:
· Coordinates the maintenance and repair activities for all assigned District properties, equipment and assigned structures
· Implements maintenance plan that provides for the daily care and upkeep of assigned assets, specifically: parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, turf areas, park structures, utilities, drainage, restrooms, horticulture, and other program support
· Prioritizes and coordinates the scheduling of repairs, projects, and maintenance of crews
· Identifies and communicates recommended actions to the Director of Parks and Facilities with regard to projects, personnel, equipment needs, and work scheduling
· Establishes strategic goals in relation to projects, personnel, equipment, and work scheduling.
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional societies
· Provides direction to staff through coaching, directing, supervising, and evaluating staff performance within the framework of the CBA and District guidelines
· Prepare, implement, and enforce procedures, methods and policies in relation to grounds maintenance and overall park operations
· Advises staff in the technical aspects of the work assignments
· Prepares and monitors the budget and initiates corrective action
· Ensures that all paperwork is completed on timely basis such as payroll, accounts payable, procurement documentation
· Procures necessary supplies and equipment, including specialized or general services
· Coordinates contractual services with others to complete work without unnecessary delays
· Maintains quality service by enforcing quality and customer service standards
· Participates in on-call weekend rotation and on-call for Park related emergencies
· Coordinates District efforts in snow removal
· Coordinates required park inspections per PDRMA recommendations such as playgrounds, sled hills, rinks, etc.
· May be required to work evenings and weekends to assist with District events
· Follow and adheres to all District safety guidelines
· Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, Parks Administration, Forestry, or closely related field preferred
· Eight to ten years of progressively responsible experience with at least five years in a supervisory role in parks operations
· Demonstrated knowledge of principles, practices and techniques relating to maintenance, layout, and design of parks
· Prior construction management preferred
· Experience in managing department budgets
· Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite
· CPO Certification within three months of employment
· CPSI Certification within twelve months of employment
· Illinois Pesticide Applicator License within six months of employment
· CPR/AED certification is required within three months of employment
· Strong analytical, problem solving, verbal and written communication skills
· Valid Illinois driver’s license (may receive within three months of employment when possessing valid out of state license)
What sets us apart:
· Supportive and friendly coworkers
· Collaborative and connected management
· Work for a Distinguished Agency Park District
The Downers Grove Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer