The Recreation Supervisor is responsible for planning, evaluating and supervising the tot, teen, youth and leisure programs, trips and special events and activities to meet the needs of the community. Accountable for profit and loss of designated area.
Reports to the Superintendent of Recreation, and supervises full-time, part-time, seasonal and contractual positions and volunteers and interns.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Supervise the programming of recreation programs • Delivery of special events • Direct supervision of recreation personnel, both district employees, independent contractors and volunteers • Prepare cost analysis budgeting of programs and fees appropriate for activities and special events • Prepare reports, statistics, and evaluations of recreation programs • Assist with emergency procedures and building evacuation • Lead and/or teach various athletic and recreation activities • Inspect and recommend facility equipment repairs and improvements • Implement and supervise purchasing in accordance with district policies and procedures maintaining adequate inventory for program operation • Monitor program participation and take corrective action steps for both low enrollment and waiting lists • Monitor financial results reporting any deviations • Coordinate program development and operation including field trips and special events • Monitor status and condition of programs and physical locations of programs • Evaluate staffing needs (including recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation) and make adjustments within the department to insure programs operate efficiently and create an environment for success • Assist in interpreting resident needs and delivering programs and services to meet those needs • Promote, organize and stimulate good relationships with community and other interest groups and with other agencies serving the area • Prepare accurate and appropriate program and facility information for seasonal brochures and other miscellaneous public information • Assist with preparation of press releases of programs and assists with development of information or articles for cable TV • Serve on various district committees • Perform other duties and functions as directed
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures outlined in the Policy and Procedure • Manual, Personnel Policy Manual, and Safety Manual • Assist with and/or attend park district special events • Solicit sponsors and donations for programs • Work with schools, sports leagues and other organizations on special projects • Attend meetings and participate in IPRA, PDRMA and local community agencies, associations and organizations • Attend professional conferences and workshops to promote knowledge in related areas of responsibility • On call at all times as needed
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Principles, practices and objectives of park and recreation program administration • Aptitude to use a computer for e-mail, and accessing the internet, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel • Ability to cooperate with and interpret Park District philosophies in relation to governmental, public and private groups or agencies, and to the general public • Ability to work harmoniously with fellow employees, patrons, community groups and other units of local government • Capacity to utilize effective time management skills and be able to work under the stress of multiple deadlines, requests from others and interruptions, with accuracy • Ability to work in a team atmosphere, promoting positive work relations with both internal and external customers • Proficiency to read and write in English, and organize effectively • Ability to communicate effectively within various settings, from one-on-one to group configurations • Capacity to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
• BA/BS in Parks & Recreation, Education, Physical Education, Arts Education, or related fields • Minimum five years of demonstrated administrative or supervisory experience in Parks & Recreation management • Certified Park and Recreation Professional preferred • Valid State of Illinois driver’s license required
• Actively supports the Safety Policy and related programs including following/enforcing safety rules, reporting accidents and injuries, and developing ideas for the prevention of future incidents. • Becomes thoroughly familiar with the Safety Manual contents. • Maintains a working knowledge of all general and department-specific safety rules. • Inspects work areas (use checklists) for compliance with safe work practices and rules. • Properly orients new staff. Provides good job instruction training and in-service training to current employees. • Enforces safety rules and improve employee and public knowledge of the same by confronting and correcting unsafe behavior and conditions. • Reports and investigates accidents. Provides medical authorization for injured employees to obtain medical care. • Makes sure necessary safety equipment and protective devices for each job or program are available, used and properly maintained.
The Leisure & Youth Services Supervisor schedule is generally Monday through Friday, with occasional evening and weekend hours as necessary to produce exceptional results. It is essential to be regularly available during standard business hours to meet with staff, vendors and other businesses and government agencies.
The Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for operation of the Club Fitness Aquatic Center related swim lessons and Aquatics programs to meet the needs of the community. Accountable for profit and loss of designated area.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
• Previous experience managing an aquatic facility and aquatic programs.
• Starfish Aquatic Instructor Certification required or must have the ability to attain.
• AFO certification preferred.
• Knowledge of aquatic programming for youth, teens and adults.
• Ability to train lifeguards and swim instructors. • Ability to hire, train and supervise staff to result in quality programs and customer service.
• Ability to work effectively with volunteers, full-time, part-time and administrative staff to reach the goals of the District.
• Knowledge of budget formats and the ability to comprehend and determine these budgets for aquatics. • Possess of a valid driver’s license, First Aid, CPR, and AED certified.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Supervise the delivery of aquatics programs and swim lessons • Direct supervision of aquatics personnel; both district employees, independent contractors and volunteers • Prepare cost analysis budgeting of programs, activities • Prepare reports, statistics, and evaluations of aquatics programs • Assist with emergency procedures and building evacuation • Lead and/or teach various fitness aquatic activities • Implement and supervise purchasing in accordance with district policies and procedures maintaining adequate inventory for program operation • Monitor program participation and take corrective action steps for both low enrollment and waiting lists • Monitor financial results reporting any deviations • Evaluate staffing needs (including recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation) • Assist in interpreting resident needs and delivering programs and services to meet those needs • Promote, organize and stimulate good relationships with community and other interest groups and with other agencies serving the area • Prepare accurate and appropriate program and facility information for seasonal brochures and other miscellaneous public information • Have consistent staff meetings with aquatics instructors • Perform other duties and functions as directed • Work closely with the marketing department on promotions for Aquatics programs • Run all aquatics in-service trainings and certification courses MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS • Be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures outlined in the Policy and Procedure Manual, Personnel Policy Manual, and Safety manual • Work with schools, sports leagues and other organizations on special projects
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Principles, practices and objectives of park and recreation and fitness center administration • Aptitude to use a computer for e-mail, and accessing the internet, knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher • Ability to cooperate with and interpret Park District philosophies in relation to governmental, public and private groups or agencies, and to the general public • Ability to work harmoniously with fellow employees, patrons, community groups and other units of local government • Capacity to utilize effective time management skills and be able to work under the stress of multiple deadlines, requests from others and interruptions, with accuracy • Ability to work in a team atmosphere, promoting positive work relations with both internal and external customers • Proficiency to read and write in English, and organize effectively • Ability to communicate effectively within various settings, from one-on-one to group configurations • Capacity to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations
The Aquatics Coordinators schedule is generally Monday through Friday with varying hours. Weekends and evenings are necessary to produce exceptional results. It is essential to be regularly available during standard business hours to meet with staff, vendors and other businesses and government agencies.
Recreation Supervisor – Special Events, Youth Trips, Teens and Outreach
Department: Recreation- General
Supervisor: Superintendent of Recreation
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
SUMARY: The Recreation Supervisor is directly responsible for the creation and implementation of special events, youth trips, and teen programming. This is an at-will position.
QUALIFICATIONS: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from a college or university, with a resource in Leisure, Recreation, or related field. Proven successful and progressive experience in leadership in a supervisory or executive capacity. Experience and knowledge of local government, community organizations, and other social agencies. Must obtain Commercial Driver’s License within 60 days of being hired. Professional Certification desired.
ADMINISTRATIVE: • Aid the Superintendent of Recreation in directing events that satisfy the needs of the community. • Analyzes programs, practices and procedures, record keeping systems, forms, and personnel requirements. • Responsible for the administration, organization, development, and implementation of the Recreation Department’s special events, youth/teen trips, teen programming, and community outreach programs so that they run successfully and are interesting and rewarding for the community and participants. • Studies all event needs and takes action to improve. • Sits on the City of Rolling Meadows’ Community Events Foundation committee.
PERSONNEL: • Interview and hire Part time program staff. • Educate staff concerning how and why of planning recreational programs. • Review staff annually • Develop and update job descriptions as needed. • Develop and maintain good working relationships among staff.
PUBLIC AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS: • Understands basic philosophies of Park District programs and services. • Develops rapport with Community Center patrons along with the Community. • Responsible for developing & proofing of program information for the program catalog three (3) times a year. • Through leadership and personal relationships encourages part-time staff to promote positive community relations. • Develops promotional materials for programming area. • Community outreach to underserved populations.
• May occasionally fill in as building supervisor.
• May occasionally need to help with a facility set up.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
• The District encourages its employees to “take ownership” of the District. As such, it is the responsibility of all Park District employees to pick up litter throughout the building, grounds, and facilities of the District.
• Staff is expected to help with the successful implementation of programs, parks, and services across program areas and between departments.
SAFETY: • All employees should be responsible for implementing the policies and procedures that pertain to safety and health. • Supervisor should be responsible for ensuring that their employees follow the established safety rules. • First Aid, CPR, and AED Certification required.
PSYCHOLOGICAL CONSIDERATIONS: Should have ability to deal with other people in stressful situations.
PHYSIOLOGICAL CONSIDERATIONS: Should be able to sit at least 80% of the day. Job includes repetitive hand movements. Facility set-ups include lifting, twisting, bending, and squatting.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSIDERATIONS: Most activities are done indoors; these conditions include lighting and temperature.
COGNITIVE CONSIDERATIONS: Should exhibit good problem solving abilities and good judgment in keeping with the Park District mission. Should be able to follow directions from supervisor and co-workers.
Responsibilities: The Village of Hawthorn Woods Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a summer intern. The Recreation Intern is a part-time seasonal position that reports to the Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation. The Recreation Intern will assist with the planning and coordination of summer camps and special events such as Fourth of July festivities, Concerts in the Park, Movies in the Park, and Car Show Cruise Nights. They will also assist in areas including aquatics and registration. The intern will be scheduled 20-25 hours per week; nights, weekends, and holidays will be required. The Recreation Intern will be exposed to various areas of recreation management that will be beneficial to their future career as a Park & Recreation professional. The Recreation Intern will work closely with both the Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation and the Director of Parks and Recreation to expand their understanding of the field.
Qualifications: Must have a high school diploma. Must be a student in good academic standing and currently enrolled in a college undergraduate program, or be a recent graduate. Preference is given to students majoring in the field of Parks & Recreation Administration or related field. The ideal candidate will be comfortable public speaking, interacting will community members, instructing staff, and leading activities. Must work well and communicate with people of all ages, especially children.
How to Apply: We are proud of our dedicated and exceptional staff and welcome your application to join our team. Applicants will be required to successfully pass a background check and drug test prior to employment. Interested candidates should submit the job application available at www.vhw.org/jobs to Kristin Kazenas, Director of Human Resources. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (847) 847-3591.
The Glen Ellyn Park District is accepting applications for the position of Parks Specialist III. Glen Ellyn Park District has 29 parks that are meticulously maintained for the community's use in both unstructured recreation and for programmed events. The District operates one outdoor aquatic facility two recreation centers three athletic complexes, 23 playgrounds, two lakes, the Ackerman Sport & Fitness Center and the recently renovated Lake Ellyn Boathouse.
DESCRIPTION: The Park Specialist III position is responsible for the on-going improvements and maintenance including but not limited to: park and playground inspections, maintain and repair of all aspects of parks and facilities including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and masonry. Additionally this position will be required to perform set-up support and take down for special events and tournaments, and will participate in snow removal and other inclement weather activities.
JOB DUTIES: The duties and responsibilities listed below are illustrative only and are not meant to be a full and exhaustive listing of all the duties and responsibilities of the classification. 1. Perform preventative maintenance, inspections, installation and repair of parks and facilities as assigned in the Parks Maintenance Department. 2. Execute work orders. 3. Posses knowledge and be skilled with hand/power tools and be able to operate all park district vehicles / equipment ( i.e. backhoe, large production mowers, snow removal equipment, tractors and trailers. 4. Be able to work outdoors, in all weather conditions. 5. Must work well independently and posses the ability to effectively supervise staff/crew. 6. Communicate regularly with supervisors on project updates, supplies, equipment issues and safety concerns. 7. Perform a variety of skilled maintenance and manual task on plumbing, electrical, and HVAC equipment, 8. Be available for work during regular office hours, evenings and weekends as needed, schedule may change to meet the demands of the district. Be part of an on-call rotation to respond to district issues outside normal work hours. 9. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including:
EDUCATION: Two years of college level coursework or equivalent certifications in a general trade(s) including: carpentry, electrical, HVAC, pools, plumbing, construction management, and/or facilities operations. An AA degree or higher in a closely related field is desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Education may be substituted for five years of increasingly responsible related experience, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
LICENSE: A valid Illinois Class A Drivers License is required within six months of employment.
CERTIFICATION: An Illinois Pesticide Applicators License is required within six months of employment. Specialized certifications in areas such as carpentry, electrical, HVAC, pools, (CPO), plumbing, construction management, and or facility operations, Certified Playground Inspector (CPSI) certification are highly desirable.
SALARY: $20.00 - $24.00 DOQ
BENEFITS WE OFFER In exchange for your time and talent are: Medical Coverage, PPO or HMO Dental Coverage Prescription Coverage Vision Reimbursement Program Life Insurance Short - Long - Term Disability (IMRF) Pension / Defined Benefit Plan (IMRF) Paid Time Off & Paid Emergency Leave
To apply for this position go to: https://www.applitrack.com/gepark/onlineapp