Manhattan Park District seeks Executive Director Contact Name: Casey Wichmann Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Phone: 217.523.4554 Closing Date: December 13, 2017 Salary: $100,000 - $110,000. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and will be negotiated with the Board of Trustees Job Title: Executive Director The Board of Commissioners is seeking to employ an Executive Director with the following qualifications, characteristics and traits:
~A bachelor’s degree in park and recreation administration or related field. A Master’s degree is preferred. ~Five to seven years of administrative experience in the park and recreation field. Experience as a director preferred. ~A person of great integrity, honesty, self-confidence and charisma. ~Must possess the ability to carry out organizational restructuring, yet stay true to the mission and maintain the strength, identity, and traditions of the organization. ~Must be able to lead the organization through a transformation while maintaining a passion for results with the ability to think and act strategically and stimulate others to do the same. ~Knowledgeable in park and recreation issues, trends, personnel management, creative financing, marketing and public relations. ~Comprehensive planning skills and experience. Ability to assess community needs, research trends and innovative concepts as they apply to improvement of the agency operations and long-range planning. ~Demonstrated success in administration and budget management. Must have experience in the creation of a sound fiscal program including; capital projects, budgeting, forecasting, development of projects through the referendum process, and other alternative funding sources; e.g. foundations/federal/state grants and enterprise operations. ~Strong personnel management skills, including the ability to assign personnel and delegate responsibilities with assurance and accountability. ~Knowledge of the importance of involving communities in collaborative processes for park planning and the belief in the strength of community involvement and participation, including volunteerism.
Application Procedure The Board of Commissioners of the Manhattan Park District invites applications for the position of Executive Director. The Board is interested in the selected Executive Director to begin employment at the district tentatively by February 15, 2018.
The Manhattan Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should be marked Personal and Confidential. All applicant packets must be received by December 13, 2017 and must contain the information below in order to meet Board consideration. All documents (other than education credentials) must have a left margin of 1.5 inches. Each numbered item below needs to be on a separate page. Please do not bind or staple.
1) Formal letter of application indicating reasons you desire to be a candidate. 2) Current resume needs to include, but not be limited to, employment history, duties, number of employees supervised and budget amount managed. 3) Complete list of accomplishments/completed projects. 4) Provide at least 3 current letters of recommendation. These written references ideally should include a balance of former employers, employees and board members. 5) You must also supply 3-6 professional references with complete names, addresses and phone numbers. These references need to be different from those providing letters of recommendation and will be contacted by the Illinois Association of Park Districts upon receipt. 6) Typewritten responses to the following management questions. Please limit your responses to each question to one page. a. Describe your management style. b. State and discuss your philosophy of parks and recreation. c. What issues do you consider to be critically important to the park and recreation field today? d. If given the opportunity, how will you attempt to resolve these issues? e. If you were chosen for the position, what steps would you take as the district’s new leader in your first 120 days? 7) Salary history for the past 5 years. 8) Complete set of up-to-date credentials which include legal proof verifying educational degrees. Transcript or copy of degree is acceptable. 9) Written permission to contact past employers and written permission to have a criminal background check.
All applications or inquiries should be referred to: Screening Committee - Manhattan PD Illinois Association of Park Districts 211 East Monroe Street Springfield, IL 62701-1186
Job Title: Recreation Program Manager
Division: Recreation Department
Salary: $30,000 - $33,000
Job Function: Under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent of Recreation, the Recreation Program Manager is responsible for development and implementation of assigned recreation programs in various areas including day camps, youth and adult sports, dance, gymnastics, ice skating lessons, arts, community recreation, and special events.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Plan and implement assigned Recreation Department programs in primary areas of day camps, youth sports and special events. Other areas may include dance, gymnastics, ice skating lessons, and community recreation.
• Innovate and develop new recreation programs in a variety of categories based on community demand and cultural trends.
• Provide safe and innovative Summer and Winter Day Camp activities, events, and policies for children ranging between 5 and 12 years.
• Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate recreation program staff which may include referees, program instructors, coaches, and other support staff.
• Promote interest in all assigned programs through publicity and marketing utilizing program brochures, flyers, and other communication tools.
• Fluent use of various social media outlets and other interactive media for marketing and interaction with participants and general public relations.
• Ability to understand and work within multiple program area operating budgets and assist the Superintendent of Recreation in drafting assigned program area operating budgets.
• Work closely with the Superintendent of Recreation, as well as other Recreation Department Program Managers to develop and implement recreation programming and special events.
• Coordination with appropriate department heads on physical arrangements and logistics necessary for programs and special events conducted at park facilities and grounds through work order preparation, as approved by Superintendent of Recreation.
• Complete and thorough evaluation process of all assigned programs and supervised staff.
• Communicate professionally and effectively with staff, volunteers, participants, parents, and community.
• Maintain and promote a positive professional image with the community.
• Monitor all facility and program inventory, supplies, equipment, and services in accordance with the park district purchasing policy.
• Monitor recreation programs, activities and events, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as necessary.
• Perform other related duties that may be assigned.
Qualifications: Education and/or Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in recreation, sport management, or closely related field. Although a degree is preferred, extensive experience in a like position with similar duties and responsibilities may be substituted for all or part of the education requirement.
• One – three years supervisory experience in the field Recreation Administration, Sport Management or related field preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Special Licenses or Certificates:
• Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or ability to obtain desired but not required.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification in accordance to the Illinois Food Service Sanitation Code or ability to obtain.
• Experience in managing facility and program budgets preferred.
• Work independently and as a team member as assigned.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel, other agencies, and the public.
• Ability to see and assimilate information from varied sources and make decisions consistent with the goals, values, and vision of the Pekin Park District.
• Understand and exhibit behavior consistent with stated values of Pekin Park District.
• Ability to coordinate, analyze, and utilize a variety of reports and records.
• Ability to learn new skills and knowledge.
• Demonstrate decision making, conflict resolution, negotiation, and organizational skills.
• Demonstrate management and supervisory skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally, in writing and through presentations.
• Knowledge of Word, Excel, social media and on-line recreation software applications for program registration, facility rental and scheduling.
The Pekin Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities of the job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position.
Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job related duties or tasks as requested by management.
Applicants for this position must submit a personal resume with cover letter no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 29, 2017 to: Shawn Powers, Superintendent of Recreation, Pekin Park District, 1701 Court Street, Pekin, IL 61554-5199, or by email to email@example.com For additional information and/or questions, please contact Shawn Powers by e-mail or call 309-353-4319.